2002 No Start & Electrical power loss | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2002 No Start & Electrical power loss

• Thread starter Thread starter JBHDPH
  • Start date Start date
JBHDPH

JBHDPH

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
My wife’s 2002 bird won’t start. Key in the ignition turned no response. We replaced the battery earlier in 2020 and it is charged. I tried to charge the battery but heard a clicking noise from the fuse/relay box in the trunk and the needle on the charger bounced in time with the clicking. I opened the fuse box and pressed on all the fuses and relays To reseat. The clicking stopped when the charger was reconnected and the battery showed to be fully charged on the charger. Still no power when the key is activated. I plan on replacing the corresponding relay and retry. The only other idea is to test the ignition switch. Any suggestions?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The first thing that I do when trouble shooting this type of problem is to observe the headlights. Turn the lights on and try to start the car. If the lights go dark then you can assume that there is a problem with the battery or battery cables/connectors. If the lights stay on full brightness I would look into the ignition/starter system.

The first thing that I do when trouble shooting this type of problem is to observe the headlights. Turn the lights on and try to start the car. If the lights go dark then you can assume that there is a problem with the battery or battery cables/connectors. If the lights stay on full brightness I would look into the ignition/starter system.

Had this happen on a '62 Plymouth. The radio would work, the headlights would work, the car would only start with jumper-cables then after it was shut off the same problems occurred. After much angst I finally found what was wrong. The battery terminals were corroded. After a thorough cleaning and grease applied everything was fine again. I hope this helps. Even if they don't look corroded it can happen. Good luck. Jack

Back