2002 Misfire

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Retrobird Jay

Retrobird Jay

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone else noticed on their 2002 T-Birds that when starting sometimes the engine will not "turn over" the first and sometimes second time? When it does "turn over" there is a strong smell of fuel and after a few times of this happening the Check Engine light comes on signaling a misfire usually in cylinder 5. I only use 93 octane 100% gas but I do not drive it daily and sometimes not even weekly. With all of that being said here are some of theories/questions I have:
  • Could the fuel pump be the main culprit behind this?
  • Or, am I just not driving it enough and letting the car sit too long?
I just swapped out the ignition coil and spark plug on the 5th cylinder back in July and now it's back. I only swapped the bad cylinder since I just swapped out all 8 packs and plugs less than a year ago. I love this car and baby the hell out of, but this is becoming very frustrating. Any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

baby the hell out of, but this is becoming very frustrating.
Read the entire first post on fully resolving the COPS problem- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...-05-ford-thunderbird-ignition-coils-cop.5040/

Pay careful attention to the valve cover gasket! You replaced one COP, so you fix the symptom, not the problem. I would replace all the spark plugs, COPS and Valve Cover gasket! Many have done this and drove for years without a reoccurrence. If you don't fix the actual problem, you will continue being frustrated because stuff is going to leak back in there gain and foul out the COPS.

All the threads I've ever read that were fuel pump related, the car won't even start. Since it says misfire, this is a "No-Brainer".

Last edited:
Has anyone else noticed on their 2002 T-Birds that when starting sometimes the engine will not "turn over" the first and sometimes second time? When it does "turn over" there is a strong smell of fuel and after a few times of this happening the Check Engine light comes on signaling a misfire usually in cylinder 5. I only use 93 octane 100% gas but I do not drive it daily and sometimes not even weekly. With all of that being said here are some of theories/questions I have:
I just swapped out the ignition coil and spark plug on the 5th cylinder back in July and now it's back. I only swapped the bad cylinder since I just swapped out all 8 packs and plugs less than a year ago. I love this car and baby the hell out of, but this is becoming very frustrating. Any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated!
When I had my 2002 "Illinibird" it was usually the COPs that caused most of the trouble like this. Many replaced all 8 of them and had to replace some again. Be sure to check the valve cover gasket too as oil leaks and gas leaks occur. My $0.02 worth of advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the engine is not turning over at all, and you are getting a fuel smell, there is a start system problem.
1. Check the condition of your battery. It's in the trunk.
2. Verify completely clean positive and negative battery leads and battery posts. If not, clean them to bare shiny metal and reinstall.
If still a issue and the battery condition is unknown, you can install jumper cables from a known running car and if that works, meaning the car will turn over and start the first time you try, replace with a good quality battery, I would suggest a good quality AGM at least.

If this does not resolve the issue, maybe contacts at the starter, the starter itself or the other end of the battery ground cable??
Ignition switch issue?

The fact that you smell fuel means to me the computer thinks the engine is going to turn over and the fuel pump comes on and the engine gets fuel.

I have a 2002 myself, no corrosion anywhere always garaged in a desert eastern Washington environment and have had no such issues.

And if this scenario goes on it’s probably plug 5 that fouls first. So this problem might just be a result and after effect of the start problem. Fix that first, and maybe the fouling will clean itself and not return if the engine starts properly.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I was really hoping someone would have said that I just wasn't driving it enough.:D
Knowing me, I'm going to try everything everyone has suggested, wish me luck!

Just this year, I had to replace 2 fuel pumps and all coil packs. Quite expensive, but this car has cost me close to nothing in the 19 years I barely drive it! Misfiring was an issue at RPM's at around 1500 until it wouldn't start at all.

After reading different posts about part failures, I know this may not be what people want to hear? Lately I have found while troubleshooting and repairing vehicles from various manufactures. I have found not all replacement parts are created equal! All too often I am blown away by the number of new part failures right out of the box! From crank trigger sensors, to water pumps, to timing belts! These failures cause major frustration to the person paying the bill, and to the mechanic having to replace new or almost new parts. Unfortunately when some of these parts do fail? They can leave you with catastrophic engine damage, or end up broken down on the roadside. We aren't saving any money buying these cheap aftermarket parts! It can cost us more in the end!

I know some manufactures don't sell replacement parts for their older vehicles as they have been discontinued. When possible, buy or insist your repair shop buy manufacturer specific replacement parts! You get what you pay for (in most cases)

Be Safe,
02 Bluebird

I've got the new valve cover gaskets, COPS, and spark plugs, but I'm noticing that the cover on the driver's side has the oil fill pipe on it. Could this be where the oil leak is coming from (a bad seal on the pipe)? Also, has anyone personally changed out their own valve cover gaskets on an 2002 before? I'm noticing that the engine layout is slightly different than the 2004's. Is there a engine layout diagram available for the 2002's? I've searched all over for a Haynes or Chilton repair manual, but I'm not having any luck. I just want to know exactly what I'm removing to get to the valve cover before I remove it (basically making sure I'm not getting in over my head on this). Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Hopefully your issue is fixed? If not? Could you have an issue with a leaking or completely open fuel injector on the number 5 cylinder? What did the number 5 plug look like when you pulled it out? Was it wet and fouled out or black?

If you replace the parts and you still have a strong smell of fuel or a check engine light indicating a misfire on number 5 cylinder? I'd do a fuel pressure test to see if the pressure bleeds down? it's supposed to hold at 65 PSI (ignition turned on to activate fuel pump, engine not running) and 32 PSI at idle. The Chilton manual should give you exact details on how and where to check the fuel pressure. If you turn the ignition switch on without cranking the engine. the fuel pump should run for several seconds building up fuel pressure to 65 PSI then shutting off. if initially reading 65 PSI, then quickly bleeds down to a lower reading and maybe going all of the way down to zero? Something in the fuel system is allowing fuel pressure to bleed off. Being number 5 cylinder is indicating an issue? I'd start there.

If after you add new plugs and coil packs the engine runs good, and the fuel pressure is what it's supposed to be? You can always run a good fuel system/injector cleaner in with the fuel.

Yes it sounds like leaking injector hydro-locking one cylinder. do fuel pressure test for bleed off. That injector cleaner stuff won't fix the problem you need to replace injectors. Were lucky they are inexpensive, I also have bad injectors causing a hot start issue, engine cranks a lot before firing then has slight misfire for a second before smoothing out to idle. Do not let this problem go on as you are washing cylinder down with fuel removing all lubrication for short time. not good for engine

Yes it sounds like leaking injector hydro-locking one cylinder. do fuel pressure test for bleed off. That injector cleaner stuff won't fix the problem you need to replace injectors. Were lucky they are inexpensive, I also have bad injectors causing a hot start issue, engine cranks a lot before firing then has slight misfire for a second before smoothing out to idle. Do not let this problem go on as you are washing cylinder down with fuel removing all lubrication for short time. not good for engine
If you have replaced the fuel injectors, which ones did you replace with (OEM or aftermarket) and lastly, how big of a pain was it to do so?

I used remanufactured factory fuel Injectors They were a matched set part no. XW43-CA-8N. Purchased from e-bay. They state in directions to have Qualified technician do the Install. That's me I am retired master auto and truck mech, and Job took me about two hours including fuel filter and careful work. Not telling you what to do but If you don't read procedure and aren't willing to follow carefully do not attempt.

Forgot to say what a difference, night and day. very smooth and instant start hot or cold.

Back