2002- is mileage stored in the instrument cluster?

F

FloridaMike67

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
When swapping in a used cluster will the mileage show from the donor vehicle or will it still show from the recipient vehicle? Sorry if this has been posted before. I was sure it was, but using related search terms in the forum search bar brought no relevant results.

@Florida Mike please use a "brief" subject on your future posts. "2002- For instrument cluster swap. Is mileage stored in it or elsewhere like the ECU or PCM?" has been revised.

Also, to like a post, click the like/thanks button. There is no need to reply and say thanks. It sends out email notifications to everyone in the threads by replying.

Screenshot_20220113-071639_Edge.jpg

When swapping in a used cluster will the mileage show from the donor vehicle or will it still show from the recipient vehicle? Sorry if this has been posted before. I was sure it was, but using related search terms in the forum search bar brought no relevant results.
As edward301 said the mileage is stored in the instrument cluster, but you can't just swap the cluster and expect the car to run. If either the instrument cluster or the powertrain control module (PCM) are installed, update or configured, both modules will require a parameter reset to allow both modules to recognize the passive anti-theft system (PATS) keys. Failure to carry out the parameter reset to both the instrument cluster and the PCM may result in a no start condition.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

As edward301 said the mileage is stored in the instrument cluster, but you can't just swap the cluster and expect the car to run. If either the instrument cluster or the powertrain control module (PCM) are installed, update or configured, both modules will require a parameter reset to allow both modules to recognize the passive anti-theft system (PATS) keys. Failure to carry out the parameter reset to both the instrument cluster and the PCM may result in a no start condition.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Having actually done a swap in a 2002, the above is correct... Somebody had rewired my original cluster's guage lighting to get around an FEM problem (Bubba), so after getting the FEM fixed I decided to swap in a used instrument cluster purchased off eBay ($$$). My car had approx 21,000 miles, the used cluster had approx 87,000 miles on it after I plugged it in (the mileage screen lit up but car wouldn't start).

The local Ford dealer said I would have to send the used cluster off to get the original mileage (and everything else) reprogrammed for my VIN and certify the mileage somehow - they (the dealer) wouldn't do it. The sources the dealer recommended didn't do this anymore. I wound up fixing the ORIGINAL cluster wiring, adding LEDs to it and reinstalling it and all is well.

The eBay seller was gracious enough to refund my money on the used cluster.

What is the reason you want to install another cluster - maybe there is a workaround ?
For instance, if your gauge lights are out AND your center console gear shift indicator lights (PRND321) are also out the odds are you have a bad FEM and the instrument cluster is OK.

Last edited:
I have a 2003. When purchased the seller had every letter & phone call made with the dealer. The seller had dash problems. The repair took months. After they were given a letter from the dealer that when they did the swap the milage was different, it was noted and now my miles are on the dash at about 45,000, and I have the paperwork showing that number is about 22,00 to many. I can live with that. just FYI.

Not that the original poster intends this, but it is a felony to mis-represent a car's mileage. - just so all are clear on that.

I can tell you swapping clusters as I described above showed the replacement cluster mileage, perhaps because the reprogramming had not occurred. Reprogramming requires the Ford-unique diagnostic tool and BOTH PAT keys; the procedure is in the shop manual (which I have).

The "rolling count" seems to be in the cluster per the manual and I assume that includes total mileage:

Trip A/B And Odometer Displays​

The vehicle speed signal (VSS) from all four wheels is hardwired directly to the ABS/TC. The speed status is then sent to the instrument cluster by the ABS/TC through the SCP communication network to establish a rolling count.

Last edited:
Further to my original reply that mileage is stored in the PCM and a following reply by Edward stating it was stored in the instrument cluster, I decided to look it up since I have the shop manuals for my 2005 Bird. It is in fact stored in both places. When you think about it, that makes perfect sense. If the cluster dies you can recover the mileage from the PCM and vice versa. They do have to agree. when my PCM failed I purchased a rebuilt PCM which dealer had to reflash with my info including adding the mileage, VIN and all the factory specs which they download from the Ford computers through the IDS software.

When I was at the dealership, before I could replace the instrument cluster or the power train control module, I had to first upload the configuration information into my diagnostic tool and then download it into the replacement component. If communication could not be established, then I had to proceed with a program in my diagnostic tool that would essentially configure the instrument cluster or power train control module based on communication between my diagnostic tool and the manufacture, or from a pin code sent to me by the manufacture. Ford calls this Blank Path Programming.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

When I was at the dealership, before I could replace the instrument cluster or the power train control module, I had to first upload the configuration information into my diagnostic tool and then download it into the replacement component. If communication could not be established, then I had to proceed with a program in my diagnostic tool that would essentially configure the instrument cluster or power train control module based on communication between my diagnostic tool and the manufacture, or from a pin code sent to me by the manufacture. Ford calls this Blank Path Programming.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Which is exactly how the Service Manual I have describes the process - the issue is finding somebody with the diagnostic tool nowadays...

With the cost of the diagnostic tool, the cost of the monthly updates and the cost of the license from the manufacture, this is not something just anyone would have. That's why only a dealer, a high volume aftermarket repair shop or a locksmith will be able to perform this kind of repair.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back