2002 interior door handle replacement and door ajar switch. | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2002 interior door handle replacement and door ajar switch.

• Thread starter Thread starter edward301
  • Start date Start date
edward301
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
On my 2002 Black Thunderbird, I finally took apart the door panel, and replaced the interior door handle that was broken, and
also replaced the intermittent door ajar switch, which was causing the window not to drop all the time, which also made closing
the door difficult when the window was fully up.

I was best to simply order a new door latch assembly 3W6Z76219A65AB for $238.01. This way you get a new chrome interior
handle, new cable, new door latch, new door lock motor, and new door ajar switch.

Removing door panel not hard, only thing somewhat hard was drilling out the three rivets that holds the interior door handle
to the door. Removing latch easy, and reconnecting the three rods for inside lock lever, exterior door handle, and exterior key
lock, also easy, however tight space inside door.

Also the chrome trim piece was loose on the door panel, on the back side of the door panel installed a washer, and a screw to
hold chrome trim piece down flush with the door panel. Some good photos below.
t bird door panel speaker.jpgT bird plastic on.jpgT bird door panel spacer.jpgT bird new handle.jpgT bird door panel chrome fix.jpgT bird complete.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Inserted your photos as full size images into the post as seen here-

Last edited:
Good info. I tried wrestling with the three rods and wasn’t able to disconnect them. Of course I didn’t want to break them so I didn’t over do it. What’s the trick to releasing them?
Okay, I was finally able to disconnect the rods. I solved 3 of the 4 problems. Window pops down as it should, interior light comes on as it should and power to the radio drops when the door is open. But darn, the door ajar light is still on! Oh well, I’m used to driving a BMW so I’ve learned to ignore lights! Don

On my 2002 Black Thunderbird, I finally took apart the door panel, and replaced the interior door handle that was broken, and
also replaced the intermittent door ajar switch, which was causing the window not to drop all the time, which also made closing
the door difficult when the window was fully up.

I was best to simply order a new door latch assembly 3W6Z76219A65AB for $238.01. This way you get a new chrome interior
handle, new cable, new door latch, new door lock motor, and new door ajar switch.

Removing door panel not hard, only thing somewhat hard was drilling out the three rivets that holds the interior door handle
to the door. Removing latch easy, and reconnecting the three rods for inside lock lever, exterior door handle, and exterior key
lock, also easy, however tight space inside door.

Also the chrome trim piece was loose on the door panel, on the back side of the door panel installed a washer, and a screw to
hold chrome trim piece down flush with the door panel. Some good photos below.
View attachment 13600View attachment 13601View attachment 13602View attachment 13604View attachment 13605View attachment 13606
How did you remove and replace the black covering over the metal door in the second picture? And did you screws to attach the door handle after you drilled out the rivets?

Back