1960 Inside Driver's Side Door Handle Loose

jpannier

jpannier

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just purchased my bird Thursday and it arrived from NJ to FL last night. There are several things I will need to address which the majority of them I was already aware. I'll be taking it to a mechanic next week to look at some that I don't think I can handle. But, some of them I can. One of them is the inside door handle on the driver's side. It is loose and simply spins unless you press in the middle of it. Then it opens the door. I assume I need to take off the door panel to see what's going on. I was hoping that someone was familiar with this, however, and might shed some light on this. And, BTW, I am absolutely in love with this car!

Just purchased my bird Thursday and it arrived from NJ to FL last night. There are several things I will need to address which the majority of them I was already aware. I'll be taking it to a mechanic next week to look at some that I don't think I can handle. But, some of them I can. One of them is the inside door handle on the driver's side. It is loose and simply spins unless you press in the middle of it. Then it opens the door. I assume I need to take off the door panel to see what's going on. I was hoping that someone was familiar with this, however, and might shed some light on this. And, BTW, I am absolutely in love with this car!
Take the handle off and look at the condition of the splines on the shaft. Then look inside the handle. I'll bet the spines inside the handle are worn down. Most handles are of pot metal or such and are softer than the shaft.
There usually is a spring 'C' ring to hold them on, on most handles the spring can be shimmied off from the handle side. Somebody may have yanked on it too hard too many times. Does the door stick a little to prompt that?

I remember when I was a kid that there is a special tool to get that clip off. I tried with a screwdriver but, to no avail. I'll have to go the auto parts store tomorrow, I guess. The door does not stick at all. Thanks for the tip!

Is this what you’re looking for?

Attachments

• EB034162-9EBC-4B11-82E3-58CCCC660A27.png
    EB034162-9EBC-4B11-82E3-58CCCC660A27.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
No. The tool I need slides between the door handle and the door panel. It's specifically for taking off car door handles. Of course, I haven't seen one for fifty years. This tool is for taking off snap rings but, it has to be perpendicular to the snap ring. But, thanks anyway.

there is a big snap clip in there you can go in on both sides at the same time and un snap the clip. there is a special tool for this not sure whwere to get it but could auto body tool mart

This is the tool I need. It slides in between the door handle and the door panel. I'm going to see if the auto parts store has one tomorrow. Screenshot 2022-10-01 213802.png

This is the tool I need. It slides in between the door handle and the door panel. I'm going to see if the auto parts store has one tomorrow. View attachment 24497
Yup! Got a less elegant one from another supplier But as I discovered you need to go in from the handle side. Hense the long handle. Putting back on just note the angle of the handle before slapping it on with the heel of your hand.
Saw a picture of a restored interior of a baby bird and the handle was not in line with the armrest and almost horizontal. stood out in my eye. Details people...

Back