2002 Instrument cluster airbag light replacement | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2002 Instrument cluster airbag light replacement

• Thread starter Thread starter edward301
  • Start date Start date
edward301
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Decided to pull the instrument cluster on my 2002 T Bird parts car because air bag light did
not work, wanted to see if problem was big or small. Here are some photos to look at, not hard
to pull cluster, and air bag light is burnt out, which means light was most likely on due to an issue.

If only a bad clock spring, I will fix, otherwise, will leave as is.
809217E4-796F-4EB0-8DAC-1308396B9B31.jpeg45C2BE65-7231-47B1-925F-79851C3D73E5.jpegF7B24B7A-EB93-42F0-97D6-81B2A239BD82.jpeg99AEF2A3-BFD4-480F-B39C-20EF1ECF40BC.jpegFE2892CB-4E7B-4E3A-87DD-41EA8F1933EC.jpeg83D07C76-E90C-4CA2-BB5C-7B3C5EA4B30E.jpegA3518672-5FCC-4B32-A099-631A0B7FD4C5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Not that tough a job but its tedious with potential to break some plastic panels. You may find you need to replace the "clock spring" to fix the airbag problem and then replace the dash bulb. If so be VERY careful to de-energize the air bag properly before starting work in that area.

The warning bulb itself is monitored by the computer and will produce an OBDC "airbag warning light bulb failure" code you'll want to clear after the repair.

Now is the time to consider putting LEDs in the instrument cluster and I posted a detailed thread on that topic:
IMG_2002.jpg

If you go that route be sure to read post #42 in that thread concerning the air bag warning light - it has to remain incandescent.

I moved bulbs around to put a good bulb in air bag slot and put instrument
cluster back in car. Air bag indicator works fine, and all airbags are good.
There were no codes reflecting bulb out. Maybe my obdll code reader can not
pick that up.

More bulbs on the way to permanently fix cluster, then put dash back together.

I moved bulbs around to put a good bulb in air bag slot and put instrument
cluster back in car. Air bag indicator works fine, and all airbags are good.
There were no codes reflecting bulb out. Maybe my obdll code reader can not
pick that up.

Good for you - some are afraid to dig into these retro birds....a little patience and some basic skills and they aren't all that bad...

I have the manuals and they are a bit cryptic but if you're relentless enough the answers are there in most cases.

Can you post where and what bulbs you bought for other people that find this thread?

I found it better to purchase on eBay a used Lincoln LS instrument cluster, it comes with all the bulbs.

I am not able to tell you which bulbs, at least not yet. Some parts on the LS cluster are inter-changeable with
the T Bird cluster, such as gauges, and plexiglass front cover.

My used Lincoln LS instrument cluster arrived, so replaced bad bulbs, and swapped out clear lens, along with
broken mileage reset button.

The Lincoln LS dash cluster shares many parts with T bird, only difference is the back circuit board, they are different because the Lincoln has a digital display in the lower right part of the cluster, where the T Bird has idiot lights, other than that everything is inter changeable.

I also put a piece of black tape over the small round black sounder for the seat belt, door open buzzer. So much better, you barely notice it, where before it was way to loud.

The round black thing is the buzzer-
T bird buzzer.jpg

The circuit board on the right is from a Lincoln LS-
T bird linc ls board.jpg

Here is the dash all working, and no idiot lights-
T Bird dash lighted.jpg
My next project will be to pull the radio, and see if I can fix the CD ERROR. The radio plays great and the sub woofer is
better in this car, than my two good T Birds.

I can see why the person I bought this parts car from, was tired of it, who ever her mechanic was, left out many screws,
bolts, and nuts. Many items also were not put back correctly, this car now works 100%, not really a parts car anymore.

Good write-up and glad you "brought back" another retro bird.... in my work on classic cars I'm often amazed at the sloppy work some of those who have gone before me let slide...

@edward301- thanks for the photos. I edited your post to properly display the photos. Please watch this tutorial to learn how to insert images into your post-

Last edited:
Hi All,

Did some searching but didnt see this issue pop up. My 02 has some discoloration (probably mold) on the inside of the instrument cluster lens. Looking for the procedure to remove cluster to enable cleaning. Ill guess this removal is daunting but will appreciate your suggestions.

It is not hard to remove instrument cluster to clean it, but you do have to remove a lot of panels to get to the
instrument cluster. If you want to try, let me know, and I will detail how to.
Thanks edward301, yes interested in tackling and would prefer to know where the various screws & snaps are to avoid unnecessary yanking;-)

Sorry for the noob first post showing up under a this topic, didnt mean to hijack.

Like the look of the dash, may try that for my 03, if need to go into the dash. As Edward said these cars can be fixed many parts interchange with either Lincoln or Jags. Not that unique but can be daunting to fix like most newer cars and trucks, most work is getting to the area that needs repair.

Its a bit more than removing panels, to do it properly you have to extend and lower the steering column tilt and extend mechanism. I use the knob on the side of the column to do that; then immediately disconnect the battery to keep the column in this position and pull fuse #19 in the passenger side footwell fuse panel...which disables the tilt/extend operation. That way you can pull the cluster in and out easily do lighting/instrument tests on it with the electrical plugs connected but not have to secure it completely in the dash because the steering column STAYS out of the way when applying power. When ALL done replace the fuse...this is a good time to grease up all the steering column moving parts too. The screw drives and slide points get a good coat of grease.
IMG_1951_marked.jpg

Back