2002 Ford Thunderbird door ajar warning

T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Last edited by a moderator:
I was having a door ajar on driver side so I sprayed wd40 into locking mechanism and this fixed the door ajar but now the window will not adjust back up when I close the door and it keeps adjusting down every time I reopen door
Make sure to try re-setting it
image.jpeg

2004 Door activated interior lights dont work but automatic windows do work. What is up with this? if the door switch was not working the windows would not work. Sounds like a programmable feature from my missing owners manual. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I was having a door ajar on driver side so I sprayed wd40 into locking mechanism and this fixed the door ajar but now the window will not adjust back up when I close the door and it keeps adjusting down every time I reopen door
I have my drivers door ajar light coming on/off all day while driving (window and lights all work correctly). Did you spray WD40 into the external door lock key mechanism, or the locking mechanism on the post to hold the door closed? I have yet to see any video posts on good instructions on handling the removal of the door panel and troubleshooting this situation. Thanks!

I had the door ajar light on and after a lot of wasted expense and effort on the door it turned out to be the trunk light switch. While the dash light looks like the driver door symbol it is an indicator of both doors, trunk and hood lights/switches all in one. The trunk light switch bracket is very flimsy and bends so that the light does not turn off. I braced it up with some sturdy foam sheet. To check I put my cell on video and closed it in the trunk. Check the hood switch too before going after the door. If it is the door switch they are available for around $12.00 online. We can walk you through it. Let us know what you find.

Last edited:
The door ajar warning light and beep comes on sporadically as soon as the key is inserted & all doors closed even after replacement of the door lock actuator in August. The driver side door lock makes noise at times and will not lock when locked manually from inside the car even after I recalibrated the locks. The windshield wipers also will operate once occasionally when the car is started. Is this a sign that there is something wrong with front computer? Thank you.

I'm having the same problem with the door ajar light. Where are the sensors? I didn't think they were in the latching mechanism of the door.

Make sure to try re-setting it
I was told by my local 'antique' car repair shop to never spray WD40 into an electrical part. I had done that also & didn't work. I ended up replacing the door lock and the door switch. I also disconnected the battery to reset the computer (the shop told me to never do that either) & problem solved with the windshield wipers being activated for no reason

I'm having the same problem with the door ajar light. Where are the sensors? I didn't think they were in the latching mechanism of the door.
The door latch mechanism is separate from the sensor (just a switch really):

You can get MANY of the door and dashboard switches/components from places like CariD, etc for a fraction of the dealers price...
You have to get inside the door to deal with a bad sensor:
IMG_1739.jpg

The front door ajar switch is attached to the front door latch and can be replaced separately. See item #10 on the attached front door locks and latches exploded view. XF2Z14018AD is the part number of the door ajar switch and the cost is around $56.00.

I also included the procedure for removing the door ajar switch in the attachment.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
19791_11cffb17fc7960dfee8ef120f598c860(1)_1.jpg19791_11cffb17fc7960dfee8ef120f598c860(1)_2.jpg

The front door ajar switch is attached to the front door latch and can be replaced separately. See item #10 on the attached front door locks and latches exploded view. XF2Z14018AD is the part number of the door ajar switch and the cost is around $56.00.

I also included the procedure for removing the door ajar switch in the attachment.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
I had pulled spare tire out and tried to put tire in trunk. In doing so I slightly bent the sensor for trunk being open. It was easy to bend it back. Door ajar light went off

I never thought of the trunk switch, but come to think of it page 13 of the owner's manual says that the door ajar light will illuminate when any door or the trunk is open.

Thanks for the follow up and I'm glad it was an easy fix.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back