2002 Ford Thunderbird door ajar warning

I was having a door ajar on driver side so I sprayed wd40 into locking mechanism and this fixed the door ajar but now the window will not adjust back up when I close the door and it keeps adjusting down every time I reopen door
Well, my situation turned out differently. My pass window finally got stuck; it would go down but not up. I finally determined that the window regulator was faulty. Was a tad difficult to replace, but I was successful. Though I want to mention that while I had the door panel out and hanging by the window and door switch wires (because I could not figure out how to release the harnesses from the switches without breaking them), both switches broke and fell apart. I ordered new switches and harnesses from Rock Auto, they sent 2 of 4 items wrong. 1 I sent back, the other I modified to work, because I did not realize it was wrong until after I had hard wired it with shrink tape, etc.
Now my pass window goes up and down correctly, bummer is the driver door switch does not move the pass window. I'm sure it's because 1 wire is in the wrong place. I can live with that for now.

cdbintexas

2004 Door activated interior lights dont work but automatic windows do work. What is up with this? if the door switch was not working the windows would not work. Sounds like a programmable feature from my missing owners manual. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I was having a door ajar on driver side so I sprayed wd40 into locking mechanism and this fixed the door ajar but now the window will not adjust back up when I close the door and it keeps adjusting down every time I reopen door
I have my drivers door ajar light coming on/off all day while driving (window and lights all work correctly). Did you spray WD40 into the external door lock key mechanism, or the locking mechanism on the post to hold the door closed? I have yet to see any video posts on good instructions on handling the removal of the door panel and troubleshooting this situation. Thanks!

I had the door ajar light on and after a lot of wasted expense and effort on the door it turned out to be the trunk light switch. While the dash light looks like the driver door symbol it is an indicator of both doors, trunk and hood lights/switches all in one. The trunk light switch bracket is very flimsy and bends so that the light does not turn off. I braced it up with some sturdy foam sheet. To check I put my cell on video and closed it in the trunk. Check the hood switch too before going after the door. If it is the door switch they are available for around $12.00 online. We can walk you through it. Let us know what you find.

Last edited:
Hello all on this thread. I am really new to the small thunderbirds. I own a 05 tbird that is almost mint condition. I purchased it from an older gentleman who took it mostly to tbird car shows. Paperwork shows it is a 99.5 show winner. It’s garaged kept. In as much as I have zero problems with my car I am concerned about all the “little things” I read about with these cars! I am halfway thinking about heading off problems down the road and selling it. Any thoughts?

Mach5

2004 Merlot
Sounds like a great idea! How much are you asking? OK - I'm just kidding. These are great cars with a few problems that are actually all very well researched and resolved here on these forums. I would read up on the COPS issue and be prepared - cheap and easy insurance for that issue.

Thanks Msch5 for your response. I do love the car and will probably hold onto it. It’s not an everyday driver for sure and only drive it in nice weather. If I do done the road decide to sell it and get a decent offer on it I will let it go. Thanks again