2002 Convertible top question

N
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a question about the up/down switch. With the hard top still on the car will the up/down switch still activate the pump? My down sounds like its running but the up does noting. Everything else is working as it should. I don't know if there's a safety when the hard top is mounted in place to stop the pump from running.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have a question about the up/down switch. With the hard top still on the car will the up/down switch still activate the pump? My down sounds like its running but the up does noting. Everything else is working as it should. I don't know if there's a still afety when the hard top is mounted in place to stop the pump from running.
I don’t want you to take this wrong. Why would you even attempt this with the hard top still on the car. Seems like you’re looking for trouble where none exists. I do know if the car is not in park the soft top will not operate. Never given it any thought with hard top on. The fact that it seems to only allow down to activate while top is on should answer your question...

I don’t want you to take this wrong. Why would you even attempt this with the hard top still on the car. Seems like you’re looking for trouble where none exists. I do know if the car is not in park the soft top will not operate. Never given it any thought with hard top on. The fact that it seems to only allow down to activate while top is on should answer your question...
I'm not trying to raise the top. I just wanted to know if the UP switch was tapped for a second if it runs the pump - With the hard top on. Mine does not. I think there's a switch that stops the pump from going up when the hard top is on, I'm just asking other owners if this is right or not. Surely someone has touched the UP button when the hard top was on.

How are the front latches on the frame above the windshield, that both hardtop, and convertible use, work at the same time? I don't think this car is for you.

I thought it was a good question.. I thought the same thing a couple times when I had the hardtop on.. What happens if I have a senior moment and I hit the button.. Unless the defrost circuit has something to do with disabling the soft top up downs with.. When you engage the rear pins it makes the contact for the rear window defroster..

How are the front latches on the frame above the windshield, that both hardtop, and convertible use, work at the same time? I don't think this car is for you.
I don't know what you're talking about. Stupid. I asked a simple question and not one owner here has ever touched the up button for a second just to see if the pump runs for a second. It certainly wouldn't damage anything. I really didn't want to remove the hard top just to see if the pump runs. I know the defroster wires hook to the latches but I don't know if there's a safety switch the hard top engages. I'm very surprised this is a difficult question.

Since I have not had my hardtop on in 17 years, I can not answer your question. Having the pump run for one second is not
going to hurt anything, it take longer than that to pressurize the system. When ever I do raise my top, it always takes about
two seconds for the convertible top to begin to move up, after I press the up switch.

My top has also lived in my garage for 17 years, the wife does not want it on.

I will check this for you tomorrow as my top is on the car. I assume that one of the electronic modules prevents the top from rising.

I have a question about the up/down switch. With the hard top still on the car will the up/down switch still activate the pump? My down sounds like its running but the up does noting. Everything else is working as it should. I don't know if there's a safety when the hard top is mounted in place to stop the pump from running.
As promised, I just tested this with my 2003. Mine operates just like yours. Obviously, one of the onboard computers recognizes that the top is on and will not allow you to accidentally raise the convertible top. Doing so would undoubtedly not be good.

As promised, I just tested this with my 2003. Mine operates just like yours. Obviously, one of the onboard computers recognizes that the top is on and will not allow you to accidentally raise the convertible top. Doing so would undoubtedly not be good.
Thank you.. Someone had the interest to go try this on a known working Bird... I was pretty sure there is a safety to stop the top from going up when the hard top is mounted. Now I don't have to remove the top just to test this.

Thank you.. Someone had the interest to go try this on a known working Bird... I was pretty sure there is a safety to stop the top from going up when the hard top is mounted. Now I don't have to remove the top just to test this.
Glad to help. Enjoy your car knowing that it’s working properly.

This got me curious so I also checked today and mine is the same. I checked to see if I could find/check the safety. It is built into the rear defog connection on the right rear hard top latch/post. The computer senses the connection and disables the 'up' of the soft top switch. To check this without removing the hardtop. I did the following steps. from seated in the drivers seat... 1) Fold the right rear seat back forward for easier access. 2) Turn the key switch to 'on'. 3) With the right hand, move and hold the right rear hardtop latch to the rear. 4) With the left hand, gently tap the soft top up/down switch. Caution,...The 'up' function will activate with the latch moved rearward.

Last edited:
I think there's more going on with the computer system in our birds than we realize. Considering there are levers that have to be engaged in the rear of the hart top to lock it into position, it would be easy to detect if the top is on. Something else that I've found with mine that impressed me, if your top is down and you lock the car with the remote key, you cannot reach in and unlock the doors with the unlock button on the door panel. You also can't open the trunk via the trunk button on the bottom of the drivers doow when locked with the remote. It's pretty nice that they put that the thought into it. Especially the trunk access... and no the truck access button does not have to be in the locked position for this to work.

Found this thread searching for some info on my convertible top issue. During my trouble-shooting on a 2002 Bird, there is a contact "switch" on the passenger side where the hardtop pin goes into the rear socket. That passenger rear socket (the one that you pull the latch to lock it down) actually has a 2 pin connector that is used for sensing when the hardtop is on. When the top is on the 2 pins are shorted (and presumably grounding it), telling the system the top is present. When the hardtop is removed it becomes an open circuit, allowing the Raise/Lower action to operate properly. And btw, this is a fairly flimsily connector but easily accessible if needing to be replaced (assuming you can find one... no luck for me so far on that one).

Hopefully this might help someone else out in the future.

Not sure it's a dedicated pair on the connector? Another member posted the REM detects hardtop presence from the defroster (two-pin connector) circuit resistance. No top, no defroster load. The schematic should tell the story.

As I stated in the other post;

With the transmission in park, the powertrain control module determines the park position from the digital transmission range sensor input. The PCM sends a message over the standard corporate protocol communication link to the front electronic module. The FEM then allows operation of the convertible top. The convertible top switch supplies a ground signal to the FEM. The FEM sends the signal to the rear electronics module. Once the REM determines that the hardtop is not present, from the infinite resistance in the defroster two pin connector circuit, it grounds the appropriate relay to raise or lower the convertible top. When the raise or lower relay is operating, the other relay remains in its normal state supplying the motor/pump ground.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Rear Defogger.jpg

Attachments

• Convertible Top Wiring.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
That is precisely how I would expect it to operate.

Since I have not had my hardtop on in 17 years, I can not answer your question. Having the pump run for one second is not
going to hurt anything, it take longer than that to pressurize the system. When ever I do raise my top, it always takes about
two seconds for the convertible top to begin to move up, after I press the up switch.
I just removed the Hard top on my 2002 TB. When I press the up switch the soft top comes up slow. Is that normal? Just got the car. Thanks!

Depends on definition of slow, but without actually timing outs I’d say it takes 7-10 seconds to come all the way

Back