2002 Coil Questions | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2002 Coil Questions

• Thread starter Thread starter Florida Birdman
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Florida Birdman

Reaction score
I own a 2002 Thunderbird with just over 35,000 miles and in the past 1,700 miles I had to replace 2 engine coils ( # 4 and #8 ). After the first one the Ford dealership told me that they would install a new replacement coil kit which should have prevented this from happening again; but just a short time later it happened again. ( Part number 2W4Z-12029-BD ) Now I'm being told that the 2 that was just repaired are under warrantee for 12 or 12 but I can expect the rest of them to go at any time. In fact he tried to convince me to change out the 7 of them at the same time to avoid doing them one by one. He also told me that Ford has done something for 2003 - 2005 owners but nothing for 2002 bird owners...if anyone knows more about this I'd appreciate hearing it.

Can anyone also tell me what is the difference between the 2002 Tbird engines and the engines for 2003- 2005?

I'm being told by one Ford mechanic that the 2002 Thunderbird engine is actually the same as the Jaguar and by another one that it is a Lincoln engine. If this is true I'm wondering if the Jag or Lincoln engines are having the same coil problems as the Thunderbirds...perhaps someone has started some sort of class action against Ford.

Sorry for the long message but I'm upset over this and blame Ford for not cleaning up its own mess.

Thanks...
Bob
capob1a@*******

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Bob:
First of all WELCOME. Please use the search function above and search for Coil Problems. I think all of your answers are there. If not tell us what's missing about coils
Because of the cost I wouldn't replace them all unless Fords paying for them.
Are the ones replaced on the passenger side?
They need to solve the cause which is either oil from the valve covers or water from the passenger side which is not sealed properly - You should find that info in your search as well
2002 has a 252 HP engine and 2003 has, I think, a 280 HP engine. All years drive thrains are Lincoln LS and yes they have coil issues as well.
Happy reading on your search, and keep us posted

Last edited:
2002 Coil Problems

I too have had coil failures and leaking valve cover gaskets on my 2002! I contacted Ford when I discovered (on this site) that they had arbitrarily issued a letter to 2003 owners for warranty repair on both the valve cover gasket and coil problems. All I asked for was an answer as to why just the 2003's and not the other years. To my dismay, I just received some double-talk replies and no real answer. I have now gone back to my dealer (super service, friendly, small town dealership) and have asked them to look into the issue. I think my next letter will go to the president of Ford rather than customer disservice!

Jim

Jim I agree that contacting Ford directly is the best, since the dealers really never knew much about these cars.
However, if you are going to send a letter to Ford, it would be wise to include THEIR letter that made the offer for 2003's. If you need a copy I think it's posted here, under coils, or contact me and I think I have a copy at home.

Rapid Ealer Response

Any time I mention my dealer (Gulf Coast Ford in Crystal River Florida) I always say how good they are. Another example.. Yesterday I got a call from them asking if I was satisfied with the service I received last month. After ssuring them that I was more than satisfied, I mentioned my dissatisfaction with the Ford customer Service response. She said she'd look into it.

Early this morning I got a call from the service manager. He said they looked over the recall letter and did some computer work and deduced the water leakage problem. Apparently the wiper motor on the 2003 is in a different position than the 2002 and a leaking seal allowed water to getto the coils.
They also said they were going to start looking into the valve cover gasket part of the problem. I felt a little guilty about having the dealership spend the time on this so I assured them that i was satisfied with their response.

Later on this morning I got another call from the dealership's customer service representative who wanted to check to see if I was hqppy with the service manager's call.

They treat my T-Bird with the same detail and care! I moved to Tampa and have to drive about 90 miles to get to Gulf Coast Ford, but you can bet I'm going to continue with them as my dealer!

Jim

Jim and Bob, etal:
I just started a new thread, "Car Complaints", if you read that site I posted carefully it may answer your questions. An interesting observation by someone who posted where I got that info was:

"Warped valve covers from engine heat.....hmmm. That would explain why we keep having to replace COP's......sometimes the same ones over and over again."

Hey guys, this sound familiar????
They went on to say:

"The dealerships have been treating the symptom (COP) and not the problem.
I'll definitely have the valve covers checked out when I have the gaskets replaced in the spring."
So for those of you who have repeated COP issues, next time have them check the covers.

coils

I have a 2004 and have had 2 replace myself at a cost of 450.00. the first one went out while it was in the shop for something else and they replaced it free. The 2nd went out and I ended up having the car tow in to the shop. There is a gasket around the wiper that should be replaced and the cowl reseal. I also heard that it could be the alternator as well which the dealer should know about?? it really depends on if its moister or oil or something else. this is a bad design from ford. which is all across the product line. The 2003 warranty was extended to 10 years and 100,000 miles all else you are on your on.

You're correct Brett, many of the "new" TBirds need their wiper motor resealed to keep that moisture out and away from the coils. I think I posted that fix somewhere here on site.😕

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back