2002 Camshaft secondary chain tensioner repair advice

M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm doing a L/R valve cover gasket/8 coils/8 plugs replacement...I've also found a secondary chain tensioner cracked (47K miles). Are the cam cap bolts one time use? Or can I reuse them? Any other input from the experienced with this greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you torque them like the manual says. I have reused those bolts on my four valve 5.4 rebuild. I am rebuilding a three valve at this time and will reuse those bolts as well.....

Attachments

• 20181118_192114.jpg
    20181118_192114.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Make sure you torque them like the manual says. I have reused those bolts on my four valve 5.4 rebuild. I am rebuilding a three valve at this time and will reuse those bolts as well.....
This problem there talking about is for certain yrs or all 3.9 engines (cam chain failures )I have an 04 with 99.500 mi no noise ,runs like the devil is chasing her !

This problem there talking about is for certain yrs or all 3.9 engines (cam chain failures )I have an 04 with 99.500 mi no noise ,runs like the devil is chasing her !
I'm almost positive just the 2002 model year, I've read that the secondary chain tensioners were updated starting with the 2003...I don't know about the primary chain tensioners.

You will need to replace both tensioners at a minimum. If you keep driving there is a good chance it will jump time. A good way to check timing is, when you remove the valve cover there are two flats on each cam. They need to be lined up. If they are off so is the timing.
Mine has not jumped...Basically just doing them while the covers are off...Another question, Do I need to rotate the engine to line those flats up anyway as to take spring pressure off of the cams? If so, I'm guessing by the crank bolt as everything is apart already.

Well .... I would rotate the engine to check the flats. You can then Zip tie the chains to the gears and then carefully back off the cam caps on each of the lower cams. You need to do that in order to get slack in the chain. That in turn will allow you to remove and replace the tensioner. Make sure the cam followers are in their respective locations and replace the caps. Start from the center and work your way out like a cinnamon bun. Do NOT tighten all the way just go a few turns at a time checking the cam followers as you go. You are putting pressure on the cam and opening valves. Take your time.

Well .... I would rotate the engine to check the flats. You can then Zip tie the chains to the gears and then carefully back off the cam caps on each of the lower cams. You need to do that in order to get slack in the chain. That in turn will allow you to remove and replace the tensioner. Make sure the cam followers are in their respective locations and replace the caps. Start from the center and work your way out like a cinnamon bun. Do NOT tighten all the way just go a few turns at a time checking the cam followers as you go. You are putting pressure on the cam and opening valves. Take you time.
Cam followers? I thought they looked like tappets...Ok I will keep an eye on them, I didn't know that they were at risk of being displaced when lifting the cam.

Im doing one as we speak ........ from a Ford F150 Three Valve. 2 intakes and 1 exhaust per cylinder.

Attachments

• 20200729_121703[1].jpg
    20200729_121703[1].jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Cam followers? I thought they looked like tappets...Ok I will keep an eye on them, I didn't know that they were at risk of being displaced when lifting the cam.
That was great Matt ,I have my 04 bird at ford now for leaks has 98.000 mi so I should get the tensioner done Correct ?

That was great Matt ,I have my 04 bird at ford now for leaks has 98.000 mi so I should get the tensioner done Correct ?
I would have them take a look at your tensioners...The problem with the secondary tensioners (exhaust camshaft chain) failing affected only the 2002 3.9L AJ30 V8 Ford and Lincoln engines, from what I've read...Your 04 3.9L AJ35 V8 should already have the updated secondary tensioners, which is easily identifiable by either watching the video posted by "The Flash" or the photo "Anthony C" posted above.

Not an AJ30/35 but an AJ V8 nonetheless...Another really good video detailing the replacement of those flawed secondary tensioners.

I just noticed that the primary chain in my 1 owner unmodified 3.9L AJ30 does not match any that I've seen in other AJ V-8's...Interesting.
20200720_185210.jpg

FYI for anyone doing secondary tensioners at this time...Just received this email today. Looks like the right side is available, but not the left.

"Thank you for placing your order with Tasca Parts!

While reviewing your order (Order #1515315) for processing I've discovered an issue. Part #2W9Z-6K254-CA is currently on national backorder with the automotive manufacturer and has no estimated date of resupply. We do not currently have this item in stock at our warehouse and are unable to acquire it at this time. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, sometimes the demand for certain parts and accessories exceeds manufacturers’ current supplies. I apologize for the inconvenience."

Yes thanks to some clever folks that we elect .... there are lots of replacement parts that are no longer made. You need to buy a new car.
In order to get parts for my 2002 Lincoln Blackwood I actually called the supplier and had some parts custom made. Cost an arm and two legs.

n Blackwood I
Are the tensioners in this kit, these kits are available now on eBay. eBay has many variations of tensioners all over
their site. All for the 3.9 v8.

View attachment 12899
Sure looks like they're part of that kit...But wow, $89.00 for that entire kit?? Can anyone attest to the quality of it?

There are many sellers of various kits, however many of the parts look the same. If there is nothing else available,
this may be all there is.

For those of us that keep these cars longer than 10 years this is the only choice we have. After all if the originals were
made of plastic, these replacements made of metal have to be better, even if not oem.

timing chain tensioners.jpg

Back