2002 Battery Quick Disconnect

• Thread starter Martin Penland Teem
  • Start date
Martin Penland Teem

Martin Penland Teem

Lilbird
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone found a battery disconnect that will work in the confined space where the battery resides? Also, with the very peculiar negative battery terminal which is on my 2002 premium? any input appreciated.

Moderator Note- Available on Amazon here- https://amzn.to/2UYzXgq

Last edited by a moderator:
The battery negative cable where it attaches to the car body is an easy disconnect. Just remove one small bolt.

I'll have to look again but I thought I remembered that the small bolt/nut required the removal of two trunk matts to get at.

This is the battery disconnect I have mounted in the trunk tire well next to the battery on the negative cable. Just loosen the knob a little to disconnect.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is an EXCELLENT question! I could not believe the difficulty in just disconnecting the negative terminal.
New batt recently. Mech removed the hold down first. Maybe easier that route?

I've dealt with the battery disconnect issue for decades on my classic cars. First off, not a fan of those round knob disconnects; I've had several of them fail (not cheap ones either). Secondly, in the retro bird owner's manual it tells you what happens when you disconnect the battery. You have a series of window and engine calibration procedures that are required and then you have to drive the car so it "relearns" the optimal transmission shift points. In addition, if the battery is disconnected too long it can cause more severe problems with the "smart" electronic components. This doesn't even address unloading the trunk and removing the floor panels each time you want to access the switch.

There are remote (keyfob) controlled wireless battery disconnects that would obviate the last issue of access but doesn't do anything for the other issues. In the instance of occasional maintenance or troubleshooting problems, its just as easy to disconnect the battery terminal with a metric socket...

If the car is to be parked long term, leave the battery connected and use a "smart" battery tender on it, you can even use one through the factory cigarette lighter socket in the cockpit and no need to even open the trunk. This is what I do...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CITK8S/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

Last edited:
Could you share a picture of that, please?
The car is still in in storage. I need to get over there soon. I will get a pic and try to post, hopefully Tuesday. No electric at storage so a tender is not an option. Switch has been on 5-6 years and no ill effects. Although getting to it, in the tire well, stupid place for a battery!

Last edited:
The car is still in in storage. I need to get over there soon. I will get a pic and try to post, hopefully Tuesday. No electric at storage so a tender is not an option. Switch has been on 5-6 years and no ill effects. Although getting to it, in the tire well, stupid place for a battery!
Could a tender operate off of a solar thingie?

Back