2002 Battery Quick Disconnect

• Thread starter Martin Penland Teem
  • Start date
Finally got there this week to get the pics. Sorry, Pics would not post upright, no matter what way they were rotated as originals.
I looked at your pictures and this seems a very good way to handle the difficulty in getting at the negative terminal with a disconnect switch. Some questions: 1. is that an insulation sheet I see under the right side part of the switch? 2. Does this work well? i.e. can you count on the battery being totally disconnected when you just turn the dial? Have you had any of the problems mentioned in this conversation about the car having to "relearn" things after a long battery disconnect.

Do you have any suggestions when using this disconnect item? Thanks

I used one of these on my '64 Vette. Never had any problems with it - did the job.

I did install one on my 2002 Thunderbird. It is so nice to be able to work with the negative terminal without taking the battery out which seems almost impossible, I used a multimeter across the switch and it worked great to show me my parasitic battery drain.

I looked at your pictures and this seems a very good way to handle the difficulty in getting at the negative terminal with a disconnect switch. Some questions: 1. is that an insulation sheet I see under the right side part of the switch? 2. Does this work well? i.e. can you count on the battery being totally disconnected when you just turn the dial? Have you had any of the problems mentioned in this conversation about the car having to "relearn" things after a long battery disconnect.

Do you have any suggestions when using this disconnect item? Thanks
Yes that is insulation to keep any of it from contacting ground except where it is bolted. Works perfect, often disconnected for months and no ssues. There is reprograming radio and sometimes the window drop. Some have said the trans relearns, but if it does, I haven;t noticed anything.

Noticed that switch is rated for125 amps probably fine for fair weather action but for a Chicago winter I’m pretty sure that switch will easily see more than it’s rating.on the other hand when it does it will only be intermittent and if it’s conservatively rated at 125 it will probably be fine the proof lies in the actual usage.just a thought as a retired electrician of 40 plus years.

Back