2002-2005 Ethanol free fuel or not? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2002-2005 Ethanol free fuel or not?

• Thread starter Thread starter MPGollotto
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MPGollotto

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Just wondering what advice anyone has regarding use of ethanol free fuel or not. I know in older cars ethanol destroys carburetor innards and have experience with that. looking up the owners manuals only say use premium but doesn't mention ethanol use.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I've deleted all the posts that erroneously stated the manual said not to use ethanol. It says do not use fuel containing methanol! Methanol and ethanol are different types of alcohol or chemicals and they have different properties and uses.

The owner's manual absolutely does not say not to use ethanol. If you speak to a mechanic, they will tell you that engines that run on ethanol are very clean compared to running non-ethanol fuel aka "pure gas". Once upon a time I would pay extra for non-ethanol gasoline, but I no longer do that after mechanics explaining ethanol fuel keeps the engine cleaner.

This is not a classic car. Modern cars are designed to run on ethanol fuels since most gasoline sold for decades has ethanol in it.

There is more related information in this thread-

Ford-Thunderbird-Fuel-Page1.jpgFord-Thunderbird-Fuel-Page2.jpg

Last edited:
Biddle is correct about ethanol use. I run E85 in all my vehicles with a conversion kit. Except my SHO as direct injected engines can't be converted. Fords have lots of positive fuel trim so you can run 50-50 mix of gas and E85 with no conversion kit. Gives you premium fuel for less and a much cleaner engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back