Which year is most desirable to collect? 2002–2005

CaptainHero

CaptainHero

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
my wife and I are considering adding a 11th generation Thunderbird to our collection and are wondering if any particular year is more desirable than others. of course we know the limited additions are more desirable but we are looking at getting a premium. I read about the horsepower difference between 2002 and subsequent years with a variable valve timing. If we aren’t set on one of the 2002 only fashion colors are we better off with a 2003 or later or is the 2002 expected to increase more in value because it was the first year of this generation? Is the 2002 less desirable because they made so many more of them that year? We are currently looking at a 2002 premium in inspiration yellow with performance white hardtop and it is gorgeous but I do like the idea of an extra 28 hp from the 2003 and later models. I know we should go with what we like best but so many color combinations look good on this model so we aren’t set on anyone no we do see multiple midnight black Thunderbirds around and there seem to be a lot of red ones on the market right now so we might want to avoid those colors. We currently on a 2004 Chrysler crossfire Limited coupe in blaze red metallic pearl coat, a 1967 Ford mustang coupe in bright yellow similar to Corvette competition yellow with black interior and accents, and a 1960 Thunderbird coupe formerly in sultana turquoise with Corinthian white top that will one day be ultraviolet metallic with pearl white top.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I own a 2002 68K miles and it drives great with the lower hp. I'm not sure unless you have a heavy foot you would notice. But in saying that the 2002 has another deficiency in the hydraulic fan system, rather than an electric fan. Some have converted to electric and that is a pretty simple process I won't do till I need to.
We found a 1 owner, had it painted because it was stored in a garage with boxes on top, and love how it drives. Our previous was a 2004 Chevy SSR which we found too heavy on the steering for my wife. She loves to drive the T Bird. We love this 2002 color and have an original white top we put on for fall driving,

Attachments

• T-Bird 6 09-2020.jpg
    T-Bird 6 09-2020.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 1
This is interesting and the answer can change over time....I would relate this to my C2 Corvette experience over the decades; the 1967 big block cars were THE most desirable of the genre for many years, sophisticated, beastly and fast. Now the first of that generation, the 63 split window (one of which I just sold) have eclipsed EVERything else in value. Base motor cars are going well into 6 digits, even project cars are $60K. These were primitive when they debuted, no FM radio, drum brakes, no big blocks, weakest transmissions of the breed, no A/C. Doesn't matter they are the first Sting Rays and the coupes dominate the value market now. It may well be that way with the 2002, even with all its funky and early design shortcomings; e.g. the hydraulic cooling fan, retro gauges, lower HP motor, ugly (to some) wheels, etc.

DISCLAIMER - I own a 2002 Torch Red Premium retro bird.

my wife and I are considering adding a 11th generation Thunderbird to our collection and are wondering if any particular year is more desirable than others. of course we know the limited additions are more desirable but we are looking at getting a premium. I read about the horsepower difference between 2002 and subsequent years with a variable valve timing. If we aren’t set on one of the 2002 only fashion colors are we better off with a 2003 or later or is the 2002 expected to increase more in value because it was the first year of this generation? Is the 2002 less desirable because they made so many more of them that year? We are currently looking at a 2002 premium in inspiration yellow with performance white hardtop and it is gorgeous but I do like the idea of an extra 28 hp from the 2003 and later models. I know we should go with what we like best but so many color combinations look good on this model so we aren’t set on anyone no we do see multiple midnight black Thunderbirds around and there seem to be a lot of red ones on the market right now so we might want to avoid those colors. We currently on a 2004 Chrysler crossfire Limited coupe in blaze red metallic pearl coat, a 1967 Ford mustang coupe in bright yellow similar to Corvette competition yellow with black interior and accents, and a 1960 Thunderbird coupe formerly in sultana turquoise with Corinthian white top that will one day be ultraviolet metallic with pearl white top.
As a general rule, the 2005 model year is the most desirable, for four reasons:

- It is the most recent build of all the models, thus the "newest" T-bird you can buy
- Many if not most of the "bugs" found in the '02, '03, and '04 models were addressed/fixed by 2005
- It is the lowest production year, and thus rarest model of the four model years
- Mot importantly, it is the 50th Anniversary edition Thunderbird, with its own unique badging for that special year

(non-disclaimer: I own a 2003!)

if any particular year is more desirable than others. of course we know the limited editions are more desirable but we are looking at getting a premium.
You are going to get many subjective answers about this. One of our members posted how rare is your Ford Thunderbird based on data he had from working at Ford based on car options. Frankly, I thought it was mostly nonsense because the stats have no real impact on the car value.

The 2002 has a Hydraulic fan, just based upon that alone, I would avoid it. The hydraulic fan actuator for example is 300.00 used and I see owners looking for them often.

Production by years:
2002: 31,368
2003: 14,678
2004: 12,757
2005: 9,295
Total: 68,098

They had a "limited edition" 2005 Cashmere of 1500, but as you can see, they only made 9,295 cars, so that's actually quite a sizeable percentage.

They only made 700 James Bond Thunderbirds in 2003. They made 200 of the 2002 Thunderbird 'Neiman-Marcus' Special Edition. Obviously, these two are rare cars. https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/2002-nieman-marcus-2003-james-bond-007-details.9520

38k NM- https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-ford-thunderbird-nieman-marcus-edition/

The cars that bring good money are the ones with really, really low miles under 1,000 miles. Recently one that still had everything on it including the writing on the glass from the factory sold for 34k- https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-ford-thunderbird-30/ or https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-ford-thunderbird-27/

The ones with 3000-6000 have sold for 25k range.

more miles sell for 15k- https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-ford-thunderbird-22/

Last edited:
No matter the build year, no matter the special colors for each year as others have said the lower the mileage the higher value the car will have.
Another thing to keep in mind is that many of the high numbered build exterior colors have interior color combinations that are very low. Example would be a white exterior with a red interior. Very few built this way, it could be valued more than some of the higher numbered special colors.
Just something else to consider.

As a general rule, the 2005 model year is the most desirable, for four reasons:

- It is the most recent build of all the models, thus the "newest" T-bird you can buy
- Many if not most of the "bugs" found in the '02, '03, and '04 models were addressed/fixed by 2005
- It is the lowest production year, and thus rarest model of the four model years
- Mot importantly, it is the 50th Anniversary edition Thunderbird, with its own unique badging for that special year

(non-disclaimer: I own a 2003!)
Can't forget the Pacific Coast Roadster for late 2004. Had to mention that as I am the proud owner of #479 of 1,000 produced.

A different take on low mileage cars -as an owner of more than a few cars and motorcycles it is my experience the worst thing you can do for a vehicles OVERALL well being NOT cosmetic but mechanically overall is to not drive it on a regular basis letting it come up to operating temperature.I keep my vehicles inside but not temperature and humidity controlled so cant compare my experience to those of you that do.My opinion is worth what you paid for it.

The 2002 is a special bird. I would never own one. Lack of engine performance is bad like a 6 cylinder.
Many under the hood parts are used only in 2002 they will be harder to find replacement parts when they wear out.
try to find a 2005 or 2004 model year.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: KSG
My opinion would say the 2002 will be the big buck winner down the road as it is quite different from the other years. As far as performance, in my mind, 252-280 horsepower doesnt mean a thing and again, because of the lower hp motor, the 2002's will be the odd man out and 'special'. I thoroughly enjoy smoking a fatty at home, loading up the cooler and banging down I 95 with the top down and with Metallica blasting. The only thing I dont like is all the attention and questions the car gets- I just tell people its my parents car and I know nothing about it. These Fords, like Harleys, were made so cool looking from the gate that they could never be changed- Kind of a win/ lose. Whatever you get-ENJOY! Ive found the more you abuse it the more fun you have- If it ever hits 100000 miles, Ill just rebuild the motor and do it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you guess what year mine is? HAHAHAHA.

I gree - and that was my point in the comparison above with the first C2 Corvette in 1963. Its not always about the reliability and the performance or the refinements; often its about the pinache of owning the first year of a new design and all the one-year-only idiosyncracies.

The prices for ALL uaed cars are up. My low mileage 2013 Tundra is worth nearly what I paid for it.

I'd stick to the 2005 as the last year available. Much has been written about the 2002 idiosyncrasies, the overheating issues and the lower HP. I own a 2004, but I'd move up to 2005 if the right model at the right price popped up. If you look on Bring A Trailer, the prices for all the retro Birds are going up. Good news for people like me who bought low and can eventually sell high(er).

If you look on Bring A Trailer, the prices for all the retro Birds are going up. Good news for people like me who bought low and can eventually sell high(er).
This is not true. They've continued to depreciate and go down in value even though used cars are hard to find. I don't see these as ever being collectible because the electronics will eventually send them to the junkyards and nobody is interested in making parts for them like the 1950-1960 models.. The ones on BAT are usually very low milage cars that can sell for 20k because they are like new. When adjusted for inflation, a Thunderbird would cost about $60,991.66 today so selling your car for 20 grand isn't a win.

Examples:
6,600- https://www.ebay.com/itm/2944302492...d=link&campid=5338236430&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

13,600- https://www.ebay.com/itm/1650698828...d=link&campid=5338236430&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

10,000- https://www.ebay.com/itm/1545638036...d=link&campid=5338236430&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Last edited:
Back