1980 Need to Replace a Complete Dash Structure | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1980 Need to Replace a Complete Dash Structure

T
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Good day,

I am writing for advice concerning the restoration of a car dash. While restoring a 1980 Ford Fairmont, I inadvertently broke the entire instrument panel (AKA dash structure or assembly, dashboard). So, I am exploring how to replace the dash either with one from an old car or with a fabricated dash. The Ford part number is E1DZ-5404320-A, but it is no longer available from Ford. As the Fairmont was made in the United States, it has a fox body style like many other Ford/Mercury vehicles from the same period. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do and where I should look to replace my dash?

If I get the dash from another old vehicle, it might be helpful to know the models and years of vehicles from which I could get a dash to put into my car. Also, some aftermarket dashes are sold for other Ford or Mercury vehicles that might fit my car. When I searched for the part number online, it appeared to match the dash of a 1984 Ford Mustang. However, I have got different opinions on the interchange for my dash. Can anyone help me find the true interchange?

Alternatively, I have tried to find out how to fabricate a replacement dash. One way might be to use the original mold that was used to form the dash for this car. Someone said Ford might have sold the mold to an aftermarket company. Does anyone have a lead to track down who has the mold? Or, does anyone know of another way to fabricate (or reinforce) a replacement dash?

Any information you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

This page contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Very little as far as interchange is going to be available. Some cars will have a Mercury cousin that has the same dash. But your actual year range will be 3 to 4 at best. As far as finding the original mold, highly unlikely. Ford itself may not have even owned it, and that was 44 years ago. If you can't possibly repair it start hunting wrecking yards and e-bay. Post some pictures and let's see what kind of ideas show up.

Very little as far as interchange is going to be available. Some cars will have a Mercury cousin that has the same dash. But your actual year range will be 3 to 4 at best. As far as finding the original mold, highly unlikely. Ford itself may not have even owned it, and that was 44 years ago. If you can't possibly repair it start hunting wrecking yards and e-bay. Post some pictures and let's see what kind of ideas show up.
Thank you for commenting on the interchange of the instrument panel in my ‘80 Zephyr.

Where should I post the pictures to see what ideas show up? How do you think I should describe the broken dash structure? Many think I am only talking about the dash (crash) pad (number 2 in the picture). Where do you think I should post the pictures? Would it be OK to ask for a dashboard in excellent condition, or would that be asking too much?

The instrument panel (AKA under the dash, dash hull/main body) might be the same as other Fox body cars. Here is a picture of the instrument panel of a '78-'83 Fairmont/Zephyr (Ford part number E1DZ- 5404320-A). The instrument panel (AKA under-dash, hull), denoted with the 1 in the picture below, is a paint-to-match part. This picture shows the hull or bare-bones dash structure without other attachments such as the instrument cluster, radio, and bezels. Perhaps, I could transfer these parts from my broken instrument panel to a replacement.

1728085362053.png

According to the Ford Master Parts Catalog, this part number (E1DZ- 5404320-A) fits:

1979 Capri

1978 to 1979 Fairmont/Zephyr

1980 to 1983 Fairmont/Zephyr, Mustang/Capri

1981 to 1982 Granada/Monarch, Thunderbird/Cougar except XR7

However, other interchange systems give a different set of vehicle dashes matching the one in my 1980 Ford Fairmont.

Also, I included here a few videos of the inside and outside of the '80 Fairmont.

1980 Ford Fairmont 2-door Sedan - YouTube

1980 Ford Fairmont 3.3L inline-6 walkaround - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some online links to photos of the dash. I am posting these links to pictures of the dash so people know exactly what the dash looks like in my car.

https://apis.mail.*********/ws/v3/m...lNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=5

https://apis.mail.*********/ws/v3/m...lNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

https://apis.mail.*********/ws/v3/m...lNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=3

Here are some online photos of the dash I need for my car. I am posting these pictures of the dash so everyone knows exactly what the dash looks like in my car.

1728276510236.jpeg1728276390744.jpeg
1728276181422.png

Back