2005 Frosted headlight assemblies

tlfmd
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My 2005’s headlight assemblies suffer from sun damage with frosting noteably. OTC preps like Wipe New only get the exterior damage. I checked with the local dealer and it’ll cost about $1K to replace both.
This car lives in my garage and I bought it from the showroom.
What advice is offered to restore these assemblies, this important as their research showed the diminishing supply of new, afterwards obsolete.

Moderator Note:
Available on Ebay click here
Available on Amazon- Drivers Side or Passenger's Side
Replacement headlight bulbs while you are doing this- https://amzn.to/2WuHbZh

You can also purchase a headlight restoration kit

We do not recommend the use of cheap LED Headlight conversions in halogen housings! This can be dangerous and illegal in some places! Members have reported lawsuits as a result of accidents and LED headlight conversions.

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I just bought some for $150 and have not put on yet. A friend said to first clean the frosted ones with WD-40 and it really makes a difference. I may hold the new ones in reserve......

There is a product put out by Muguairs called Plast-X. It is designed for anything plastic. I have used it with a power ball and got great results. Good Luck Rick

Has anybody used a service to refinish their headlights. I was getting the Leaf its last bath before returning it off lease and I noticed that Mr Clean Car Wash offers lens restoration for $69.95. Our Tbird isn't bad yet, but the passenger side headlight on the 2003 Expedition is getting bad. I guess with over 300K miles of driving, the shoulder side headlight gets more abrasions. The passenger side headlight looks like its 25 years old and the driver's side headlight looks maybe 5 or so years old, I would only have it done because its a pair price.

My son used a Wipe Kit on his car and said it lasted about 6 months. He used one of the Meguiar's 2980 heavy duty kit on his Xterra over a year ago and they still look go. I can get two 2980 kits for the price of one Mr Clean refinish.

scarily, toothpaste works too. I have used it on my RSX and it was faster than stuff I got that was made for it. nothing will get them like new

I’ve done that, bought and installed aftermarket assemblies. It was suggested elsewhere that the old ones could be cleaned by the use of rare earth magnets wrapped with cloth and cleaner, manipulated with a second magnet in the outside.
I have been looking at the old assemblies. How does one open that main light chamber, open or remove the lamp mount to grain access?
I have removed the three screws but it seems very solid., not yielding to my attempts to open.
image.jpg

Yes, NOS (New Old Stock) headlights can be had for as little as $150. The installation is negotiable between you and your electrical/mechanic, likely for hundred$ less than what was quoted to you!

Good (BETTER!) news is that WalMart mechanics will polish your lens’ for $30 only!
Be sure to re-coat the newly-polished lens’ with anti-ultraviolet light solution (many major brands have thes liquids). This will allow your lens’ to resist yellowing and clouding well into the future!

scarily, toothpaste works too. I have used it on my RSX and it was faster than stuff I got that was made for it. nothing will get them like new
I have been using this trick for years. Just regular Crest or Colgate on a towel, add a very little bit of water and rub. When done clean lens off, then give a final buff with clean old newspaper.

I have been using this trick for years. Just regular Crest or Colgate on a towel, add a very little bit of water and rub. When done clean lens off, then give a final buff with clean old newspaper.

It will also will help keep it from ultraviolet damage to use several coats of anti-UV liquid coating from the parts section of any auto supply.

Skizix Savage

Back