1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice

1967 Suspension upgrade suggestions

Discussion in '1967 - 1988 Ford Thunderbird' started by Mitchdublin, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Hi, i recently bought a 2 door 1967 t bird. Car is spotless and probably very rare in ireland.
    Suspension is very like a boat.
    Can anyone recommend changes upgrades etc that i can do. Im not looking for a racecar, i just wanna turn bends
    Shocks ?
    Bushings?
    Any help is appreciated
    Thanks

2. biddle

biddle Forum Moderator Staff Member

Please include the model year in the subject on future posts. Added.
    model-year.jpg

3. Not much you can really do other than stiffer springs for the coils, stiffer shocks and a bigger sway bar on the front (if you can even find one that fits). I myself on my 1969 went with Moog springs and bilstein shocks. Feels a bit more firmer on the back. I am going to replace my front shocks with bilsteins too. I like how they feel. Get a good set of tires as well. Try and avoid low profile and get a decent size like 15 or 16 inch wheels. Most cars from the 60’s never really had good handling. That 700lb chunk of metal in your front end is the reason for it.

biddle likes this.
  4. For the rear you can close in the C channel rear suspension by welding another plate to it, at that point you can install a rear sway bar. For the front I cut a couple inches off the coils. That lowered the front end a bit. I also got a beefier front sway bar. When you install your wheels see about getting spacers to widen your stance front and back, that will do wonders for the handling.
    If your interested I can send pics of what I did.

5. Check your suspension completely thrue and check for worn first of all. I did this on mine as it also behaved like a boat before even my car had only 13k miles since new. As shocks where never ever changed and 50 years old, I managed to buy 4 german Koni shocks....the result was amazing ....drives and handles like a Mercedes. Makes a lot of fun now and usable for any trip.

6. jazbo

jazbo Active Member Lifetime Donor

I just put a sway bar on the rear axle. It helps keep it flatter on corners but it is still a very soft ride. Stiffer springs (a big job) and shocks will help. Also new bushings on the front sway bar, and check the control arm bushings for wear. If they are original they are probably decayed.

The rear sway bar is ADDCO 937

http://www.addco.net/aftermarket/catalog/ford/

Help us by sharing/liking this page!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!