1967 Suspension upgrade suggestions

M

Mitchdublin

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi, i recently bought a 2 door 1967 t bird. Car is spotless and probably very rare in ireland.
Suspension is very like a boat.
Can anyone recommend changes upgrades etc that i can do. Im not looking for a racecar, i just wanna turn bends
Shocks ?
Bushings?
Any help is appreciated
Thanks

Please include the model year in the subject on future posts. Added.
model-year.jpg

Not much you can really do other than stiffer springs for the coils, stiffer shocks and a bigger sway bar on the front (if you can even find one that fits). I myself on my 1969 went with Moog springs and bilstein shocks. Feels a bit more firmer on the back. I am going to replace my front shocks with bilsteins too. I like how they feel. Get a good set of tires as well. Try and avoid low profile and get a decent size like 15 or 16 inch wheels. Most cars from the 60’s never really had good handling. That 700lb chunk of metal in your front end is the reason for it.

For the rear you can close in the C channel rear suspension by welding another plate to it, at that point you can install a rear sway bar. For the front I cut a couple inches off the coils. That lowered the front end a bit. I also got a beefier front sway bar. When you install your wheels see about getting spacers to widen your stance front and back, that will do wonders for the handling.
If your interested I can send pics of what I did.

Check your suspension completely thrue and check for worn first of all. I did this on mine as it also behaved like a boat before even my car had only 13k miles since new. As shocks where never ever changed and 50 years old, I managed to buy 4 german Koni shocks....the result was amazing ....drives and handles like a Mercedes. Makes a lot of fun now and usable for any trip.

Hi, i recently bought a 2 door 1967 t bird. Car is spotless and probably very rare in ireland.
Can anyone recommend changes upgrades etc that i can do. I'm not looking for a racecar, i just wanna turn bends
Shocks ?
Bushings?
Any help is appreciated
Thanks

I just put a sway bar on the rear axle. It helps keep it flatter on corners but it is still a very soft ride. Stiffer springs (a big job) and shocks will help. Also new bushings on the front sway bar, and check the control arm bushings for wear. If they are original they are probably decayed.

The rear sway bar is ADDCO 937

http://www.addco.net/aftermarket/catalog/ford/

Can anyone recommend changes upgrades etc that i can do. Im not looking for a racecar, i just wanna turn bends
Shocks ?
Bushings?
Any help is appreciated
Thanks
Increase diameter of your front sway bar, add a rear sway bar, lower you frontend by cutting a 2" or so off your springs. Box in your rear arms by welding another side to them. I never could find urethane bushings but those would help

Increase diameter of your front sway bar, add a rear sway bar, lower you frontend by cutting a 2" or so off your springs. Box in your rear arms by welding another side to them. I never could find urethane bushings but those would help
https://www.spohn.net/shop/1965-197...urethane-Bushings-1965-1974-Ford-Galaxie.html These should fit on your tbird as the dimensions are pretty much the same between a Tbird or Galaxie. I have the panhard bar on my 1969 tbird and it fits perfectly. The are tublar steel chrome-moly with polyurethane bushing and grease fittings.
IMG_0286.JPGIMG_0306.JPG
IMG_0307.JPG

For the rear you can close in the C channel rear suspension by welding another plate to it, at that point you can install a rear sway bar. For the front I cut a couple inches off the coils. That lowered the front end a bit. I also got a beefier front sway bar. When you install your wheels see about getting spacers to widen your stance front and back, that will do wonders for the handling.
did you get the spacers? Which ones and from where?

I have not purchased spacers yet. I will need to though, with the new rear disk brakes the original posts have barely enough thread to hold the nut after the stock wheel is on. I have looked at some with a 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern with posts in them. I have to double check the axle bore size. If it works I will report.
Stay safe everyone !

can i see your suspension set up. Those skinny wheels are throwing me off and have me thinking of how to improve that handling

I took some quick pics of the 2" spacers I used for the rear wheels. And how the car sits with them on. The lower front end was lowered by cutting an inch and half off the springs.
The wheel spacers did not work on the front the tires rubbed the wheel wells. I want to get smaller tire fir the front and try to space them out again. In hindsight it may have worked if I didn't lower it.
That's a stock tire on the back, I plan on getting wider tires/wheels to make it come out even farther.
As you may see i added the rear sway and rear discs.

Attachments

• IMG_20200509_160954.jpg
    IMG_20200509_160954.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200509_160959.jpg
    IMG_20200509_160959.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200509_161020.jpg
    IMG_20200509_161020.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200509_161044.jpg
    IMG_20200509_161044.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200509_160944.jpg
    IMG_20200509_160944.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 6
I took some quick pics of the 2" spacers I used for the rear wheels. And how the car sits with them on. The lower front end was lowered by cutting an inch and half off the springs.
The wheel spacers did not work on the front the tires rubbed the wheel wells. I want to get smaller tire fir the front and try to space them out again. In hindsight it may have worked if I didn't lower it.
That's a stock tire on the back, I plan on getting wider tires/wheels to make it come out even farther.
As you may see i added the rear sway and rear discs.
Did you cut those holes in the rear lower valence for the exhaust? I ask this because on my car there is no holes in it.

Back