1966 Wheel Options

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
BigRob89
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Im looking to get new wheels and tires for my 66 hardtop. Any one else out there have aftermarket wheels on their 66? If so, what do you have?

Please include the model year of your car in the subject when posting. Thanks! I edited it for you.

By far the most popular aftermarket wheels are wires. I've seen mags, reverse wheels, and others on these cars, but to me they just don't look right. Keep in mind that wire wheels were available from the factory through 1964, but not on the 1965 or 66. The reason, disk brakes. You can buy aftermarket types that fit, but you'll find the front wheels are different from the back wheels. Keep an original solid wheel for the spare.

If you want wires, buy Coker. I had considerable trouble with other types, and even had one collapse on me. I had to wait for the Cokers, but they were worth the wait.

To be more specific: original wheels fit snugly onto the hubs. There are other wheels out there with larger center holes, I guess to be "universal", that require special machines for proper balancing. They must be balanced while mounted on the studs, not the hubs. I think the wheels with the proper hub size are stronger and safer. Then, in the case of Coker, the wheels themselves are heavier and stronger. With "others", I was actually blamed for getting them bent! More specifically, the tire shop I went to. This does not sit well with me. A car that weighs some 4,700 pounds can do without wheels that are so "dainty" that a shop can bend them up by simply mounting tires on them! When the Cokers finally went on, I could feel the difference in ride before leaving the parking lot!

My experience is of course with wires, but might not stop there. Remember this IS a heavy car, and that the original wheels were SOLID -- not slotted as with most others. Whatever you buy for an aftermarket, make sure it's a sturdily built wheel, able to take on the weight.

BigRob,
Gary just explained why you DONT want wire wheels. Here are a few more reasons: most require inner tubes! That right there is ancient engineering (and so are wire wheels). Yes, they look great, but if you have modified your car, or drive aggressively, they are no good. (You don’t see any race cars with wires). Even performance motorcycles don’t use them. Magnum 500, or Shelby Wheels look good on a ‘66. It’s your car. Look around and buy what YOU like.

BigRob,
Gary just explained why you DONT want wire wheels. Here are a few more reasons: most require inner tubes! That right there is ancient engineering (and so are wire wheels). Yes, they look great, but if you have modified your car, or drive aggressively, they are no good. (You don’t see any race cars with wires). Even performance motorcycles don’t use them. Magnum 500, or Shelby Wheels look good on a ‘66. It’s your car. Look around and buy what YOU like.
I have a 1966 Landau, with skirts, looking for wheels. Spoke to a gent at Coker, he said the Magnums would be a problem because the front and rear need different backspace to fit properly. Any other suggestions?

Back