1966 Road Trip- crazy?

Art Smart

Art Smart

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello,
I just bought a 1966 "Q" Convertible. It's been in storage for a few years, only in the last few weeks has it been driven. The car seems to be in good condition from the photos and from what the owner has told me.
Am I crazy to drive it from Phoenix to Seattle? ( I have a feeling a lot of you will say I'm crazy) What should I check or do to the car before leaving Phoenix?
Thanks,

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Probably as crazy as I was. I bought a 56, had to do all the brakes and a lot of cosmetic work. Got the car in January, got it on the road in September and the following summer drove it across country with only local miles on it. Great trip, no incidents and saw America down close.

I would change the oil and engine coolant, drain and refill the gas tank, check the tire air pressure (including the spare). Join AAA or get the Hagerty towing insurance. Also, get the name and number of a parts supplier for your Bird who will Fed Ex parts if the need arises.
Good Luck,
Doug

For that trip and being in Phoenix, change coolant and hoses. New thermostat, flush brake system. Change the belts. If it's running well add a can of B/G 44 to the tank and hit the road. Toss a set of points and condenser in the glove box for luck.

Hello,
I just bought a 1966 "Q" Convertible. It's been in storage for a few years, only in the last few weeks has it been driven. The car seems to be in good condition from the photos and from what the owner has told me.
Am I crazy to drive it from Phoenix to Seattle? ( I have a feeling a lot of you will say I'm crazy) What should I check or do to the car before leaving Phoenix?
Thanks,
I would check the date code and condition of the tires. been sitting for awhile could have some deterioration of the rubber and even though there may be much tread and look good, they could be dangerous for you and others

Hello,
Thanks,

Q code and a convertible, man that sounds like fun!

Got any pictures?

Hey Art, do you actually live in Seattle, or just nearby? I have a place outside of Gig harbor.

change oil, change trans fluid, drain radiator and block (driving from Arizona, hot) inspect all fan belts, inspect hoses or change (only 2) inspect heater hoses and fix if necessary. if not tuned up recently, change spark plugs, points and condenser if not pertronix, check differential oil level and if not changed, drain and refill with 90wt gear oil. agree with checking date code on tires can have dry rot and good tread but can explode/go flat. inspect brakes and wheel cylinders for leaks, adjust brakes if self-adjusters not so good. lubricate all zerk fittings and fitting at end of driveshaft. i would be scared to take my car that far. its 1414 miles! its a hek of a tow from twin falls Idaho back to phoenix.!

If that 428 is being fed by an Autolite carb, check the accelerator pump for leaks and function and make sure the power valve is working. f they have not been replaced after waking up the car after its nap, odds are they will, or they will be so stiff they won't flex.
Also carry a big credit card That 428 loves premium fuel, The one I used to have gave me 9-10 MPG.

Also carry a big credit card That 428 loves premium fuel, The one I used to have gave me 9-10 MPG.

I used to have a 1966 Landeau Q-code...that mileage sounds about right, on a good day. I swear I could only squeeze about 8MPG on average. Of course, the rear tires also mysteriously wore down rather quickly...go figure!

Unless you have the time & money to check it's roadworthiness where it's at, If you know it moves on it's own I'd haul it to Bellevue, either on a trailer you can tow, ( if you have a suitable tow vehicle )or you can hire a transport. There are several firms hauling cars from the southwest up north. Then you can take your time to find a shop that knows old cars and let them asses what needs to be done.
I've got a '57 that I've had over 40 years and every time I take it out for a spring shakedown, something else shows up that could make it not to run over 20 miles until I can tinker. You don't want to find out something you didn't know and sitting on the side of the road 30 miles from any where and a tow truck plus the cost of repair where more could be hidden would cost much more in time, money and frustration than hiring a pro to bring it up.
I'm from Tacoma, and hauled my '57 over to Spokane Valley with no issues. Would you buy a 40 yo Boat and take on it's maiden voyage to explore the San Juans ? I had a '66 landau, Great road car.

Last edited:
I have a great condition 65 and would never take it that far. Sitting that long you will have lots of issues with the car. Just last week after taking a nice Sunday drive a power steering hose blew and needed to be towed so not to burn out the power steering pump too. Have it transported and save a lot of trouble. Good luck ..

Hello,
Thanks,
Thanks to all of the members who responded to my post. With your input and from others, I've decided the prudent thing to do is have the car shipped. As much as I would have loved to do a road trip in a 1966 Thunderbird convertible, it wasn't a wise thing to do.
This being my first Thunderbird I'm sure I will be posting again with questions seeking help with problems I can't solve.
I appreciate the advice and knowledge the members of this forum have and their willingness to share.
Art

Good luck Art, hope to hear from you again.

Just take your time and do your best to 'make it right'. Quality takes time. Wow a convertible'66, Loved my '66 landau But having my '57 with the top off is wonderful. Great road car by the way, cherish it and you won't be disappointed when you get it on the road if you are patient. It's much heavier than the earlier birds But the king of the road when you can get it out. Just be aware the power top is a challenge but worth it.

yes, that's the right thing to do. once you get it to its final destination you can do all the preventive maintenance and then can do a road trip, but 1400 miles would be stretching it. good luck, happy t-birding

Just take your time and do your best to 'make it right'. Quality takes time. Wow a convertible'66, Loved my '66 landau But having my '57 with the top off is wonderful. Great road car by the way, cherish it and you won't be disappointed when you get it on the road if you are patient. It's much heavier than the earlier birds But the king of the road when you can get it out. Just be aware the power top is a challenge but worth it.
Challenge in what way?

If that 428 is being fed by an Autolite carb, check the accelerator pump for leaks and function and make sure the power valve is working. f they have not been replaced after waking up the car after its nap, odds are they will, or they will be so stiff they won't flex.
Agreed... FYI you can buy a reman Holley 600CFM Street Avenger for $220 direct from Holley with free shipping. I just put one on my 64' Bird 390 as the Autolite was leaking everywhere and it runs great right out the box. Might not be a bad idea to throw one in the trunk along with your other spares. I'd be carrying at a minimum a Craftsman portable Mechanics tool kit, other basic tools like pliers and drivers, duct tape, zip ties, points and condensor and coil, all fluids, a good aluminum race jack and two stands, and do a full service before departing.

Back