1965 w/ disc brakes and fender skirts / wheel fitment

BLH
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Good morning! I have had problems finding a fit for mag wheels on my 1965 Thunderbird. I have skirts on the rear with drum brakes and disc brakes on the front. I ordered a set of wheels in that were supposed to fit but they fit on the rear and hit the disc caliper on the front. Can anyone advise on the wheel offset needed for my application on the front and the back? Would prefer to keep 15" wheels but open to change if I find something that looks nice and fits in a different size. Thanks for your help!

I put 15"x6" wheels on my 64 and a 3.375" backspace and -3.00mm Offset. This was the only spacing I could use unless I wanted different backspace for the rear wheels versus the front wheels. The rear has room for more backspace for more clearance on fender skirts but the front wheels cannot go with more. I know you have disc brakes in front while I have drum but hopefully this gets you a starting point to measure from. FYI, I was able to order stock Centerline wheels from Summit Racing and saved $ by not having to order a custom size. If you go to their site and put in wheel diameter, width, backspace, and offset you will come up with current choices, Or click on this link: https://www.summitracing.com/search...5-in+offset:minus-3-00mm+wheel-diameter:15-in
Good Luck!

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: BLH
I put 15"x6" wheels on my 64 and a 3.375" backspace and -3.00mm Offset. This was the only spacing I could use unless I wanted different backspace for the rear wheels versus the front wheels. The rear has room for more backspace for more clearance on fender skirts but the front wheels cannot go with more. I know you have disc brakes in front while I have drum but hopefully this gets you a starting point to measure from. FYI, I was able to order stock Centerline wheels from Summit Racing and saved $ by not having to order a custom size. If you go to their site and put in wheel diameter, width, backspace, and offset you will come up with current choices, Or click on this link: https://www.summitracing.com/search/department/wheels-tires/section/wheels?N=section:wheels+part-type:wheels+wheel-bolt-pattern-app:5-x-4-1-2-in+backspacing-in:3-375-in+offset:minus-3-00mm+wheel-diameter:15-in
Good Luck!

Thank you! good info

Thank Ed! They do look nice Do you have skirts on the rear?

Yes, my Tbird has skirts. Tire size is 225/60R17, they are a little close in the rear but do fit.
Check out some pics of Bonafyd, latest ones with the new wheels
Take care
Ed

Last edited:
Here a couple of pictures to help show the difference between 15" and 17". I think both sizes look good though the 17" should improve handling a bit but also be a rougher ride due to less actual sidewall tire. I wanted the whitewall to be more 60's correct but did have trouble finding it until I went to a Farm&Fleet store.

Attachments

• 20190802_144711.jpg
    20190802_144711.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 7
  • 20190802_143928.jpg
    20190802_143928.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 6
Yes, my Tbird has skirts. Tire size is 225/60R17, they are a little close in the rear but do fit.
Check out some pics of Bonafyd, latest ones with the new wheels
Take care
Ed
I just picked up a '65 and have been scowering the internet to see what I can do for wheels and I saw your post. No spacer is needed on the front with these ridler 695s? Right now the PO put a pair of grand marquis wheels on it and they're killing me!!!

Attachments

• 20210130_161136.jpg
    20210130_161136.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 4
Back