Bonafyd

Bonafyd

1964 Restomod

1964 Restomod

Engine Bay

Engine Bay

ak7an

1964 Tbird restomod

64Z-code and I exchanged some pleasant remarks regarding restomoding a Flairbird. Not wanting to hijack the thread he mentioned that it was worthy of its own thread, so here goes.
First off, the car when finished has to be a dependable (as much as this is possible) vehicle that you would not be afraid to jump in a take a nice weekend road trip. I know I am making it kind of narrow by limiting the model years to 64-66, but we could start threads for every generation of these wonderful cars. Ok, Ok I know that some of us do not like that we change, update, and/or modify and that's OK. I respect your opinion and what you like, so please be respectful of those who enjoy doing these things to our cars.

I will start by describing my 1964 restomod and some things that I would like to add or change., It has a beautiful Metallic Ice Blue paint job that has a deep clear coat luster, 15 inch wire spoke wheels w/205/75/r15 radial tires. Under the hood is where this car is far from original, the 390 FE has been replaced with a 1972 vintage 351 Windsor that is stroked to 427. It is outfitted with MSD Street fire ignition and a MSD vacuumless distributor with mechanical advance, MSD Atomic electronic fuel injection which sits atop a Performance Products Dual Plane polished aluminum intake manifold. A set of shorty headers and a dual exhaust system with a pair of DynoMax Super Turbo mufflers.. It sound great, not to loud, but with a very nice rumble. Next is the transmission, the Fordamatic has been replace with a mid 80's vintage AOD, it has a Bauman Engineering valve body modification kit and additional clutching and upgraded bands for strength and reliability. It shifts very solidly and no hesitation. The gear selection is handled by a Kit that I believe came from Lokar that has it mounted in the center console that has the appearance of being factory installed, and yes the steering wheel swing away functions as intended. Rear gearing has been changed to 3.50, really makes for a nice 70 MPH cruising RPM at just a little above 2000.. Really sweet. The interior has font bucket seats that are 10 way power from a Lincoln of some model, as the controls have the Lincoln emblem, gray leather, with gray cloth centers. Back seats has matching upholstery to the fronts. It is a factory AC car which I plan on restoring to a working system utilizing the modern R134a compressor that is mounted to the engine. It has a nice JL Audio sound system with a 6 speaker system and dual 8 inch subs mounted in the trunk. Steering column appears to be from a mid 80's F-150. Front brakes upgraded to disc and a dual master cylinder. That about describes it. It is a joy to drive and we always get the "thumbs up" and nice comments about it. We have taken it on a couple of weekend road trips and it has performed flawlesley. Will attach a couple of pictures, but I really need to take some of the car out side.

Now to what I would like to change..
If my bank account would allow I would really like to drop in a 408 stroker, 450HP, 475 TQ. I would probably go with the Holley Sniper EFI. Man I love that low end torque. Then back that up with a 4R70W automatic from Monster transmissions complete with the electronic controller. Just a little more go when you push down on the pedal.
Interior wise I would like the rear seat to be back to the original look, that awesome wrap around appearance, gray leather to match everything else.

So go ahead and post up your ideas of the ultimate Flairbird Restomod.. I will enjoy hearing what you have to say..
I
My favorite part is that dash. It’s a work of art. I’d love to see a set of usb ports set flush into a chrome plate, so they look totally natural.

ak7an
I would like to update the size of the 351 Windsor based stroker. After more research I have determined that it is a 393 Stoker. I am pretty confident that it was built to replicate the 390 FE specs of 300 HP and 420 TQ. It moves the car nicely and the Wide Ratio AOD and 3.50 rear gear accentuate the torque.
Take care
Ed

Spemma11
I am working on mine 64 I have installed Viking coil over suspention, 500 hp ls3, 4L70 tranny borgansen steering box 66 disc spindles.
What I am having problems with is finding weather stripping and someone that can build me a exhaust system I need to increase the size to 2 1/2. Any thoughts?

ak7an
I am working on mine 64 I have installed Viking coil over suspention, 500 hp ls3, 4L70 tranny borgansen steering box 66 disc spindles.
What I am having problems with is finding weather stripping and someone that can build me a exhaust system I need to increase the size to 2 1/2. Any thoughts?
Have you tried Larry’s Thunderbird or Birds Nest to source the weather stripping? Both have excellent websites.
Do you have a shop that specializes in exhaust systems? I’m not talking about Midas or Pep Boys. Any exhaust shop worth its salt shoul be able to buikd and install what you need. or you could buy a 2 1/2 inch tubing bender and build it yourself. Take care
Ed

Album information

Album owner
ak7an
Date created
Item count
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Album privacy

ak7an