1965 stalls when put in gear | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1965 stalls when put in gear

• Thread starter Thread starter 40birds
  • Start date Start date
40birds
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Few
Car was in storage but finally out and brought to our new house. I drove it onto the flatbed that then took it to the car carrier. When car arrived it now stalls when put in gear. Can’t imagine what could have happened on a 1300mile ride so any and all suggestions would be welcome.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

First off, give it a good once over, checking all of the vacuum hoses, don't forget the one on transmission. Do you now live in a different altitude? Depending on how long it was stored you may need a carburetor cleaning and adjustment.

How long was it in storage ? I've seen cars stored for extended periods and the fuel pump diaphragm deteriorates and has maybe 1 or 2 starts in it before it fails completely. Do a fuel pump pressure and volume test (they are two SEPARATE things) Any $18 vacuum gauge can do the tests.

Hadn’t considered the altitude and yes it’s quite different here so a possibility to check, I’m thinking vacuum. Dont believe it’s a fuel pump issue as in park it will rev up with no issues.

Back