1965 that dies when i put it in gear

O

okiepatriot

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
So it's been sitting for a while, so I went to start it up and drive the ol girl around for a bit. But it didn't want to start and then kept dying every time I put it in gear. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20220529_151905.jpg
    20220529_151905.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 2

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

So it's been sitting for a while, so I went to start it up and drive the ol girl around for a bit. But it didn't want to start and then kept dying every time I put it in gear. Any ideas?
Sounds like water in the gas

You may have a vacuum hose that came off, and possibly an accelerator pump that's bad.

Look around the carb/ manifold first. I think you may have some vacuum controls on the inside as well.
Take off the air cleaner and look down the carb with the engine off and open the throttle. You should get a nice shot of fuel. If not your accelerator pump needs attention.

Look around the carb/ manifold first. I think you may have some vacuum controls on the inside as well.
Take off the air cleaner and look down the carb with the engine off and open the throttle. You should get a nice shot of fuel. If not your accelerator pump needs attention.
Ok I can see fuel spraying when I open the throttle. I took so pictures cause I'm not too savvy on carbs myself.

Attachments

• 20220530_202211.jpg
    20220530_202211.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220530_202218.jpg
    20220530_202218.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220530_202224.jpg
    20220530_202224.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220530_202229.jpg
    20220530_202229.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
In those years everything was vacuum controlled. Could be an issue or just even old gas. Bringing an engine out of mothballs is always a challenge. Keep trying and see what comes to life.

I have the same problem with my 1966. However, if I allow it to idle for at least 2-3 minutes to warm up, I can put into gear and it performs as it should. If you can get to a gas station, I would fill up with fresh gas.

If the gas contains ethanol, and it gets cold enough for the air inside the tank to condense, condensation (water) can form. Nevertheless, that may/may not be your problem, but could be a contributing factor. If your tank were completely fuel and airtight, the gas would not flow. Your gas cap/filler neck has to be vented.

I’ve had a similar situation after standing for almost 2 years it was a no start. However., I had no fuel getting to the carburetor, now waiting on a fuel pump to be delivered. Parts are getting more difficult to find in Canada, so I ordered two!

It's been inside the whole time. No way for water to get in. Thanks though.

Ok thats actually a good idea. Where should I start looking first?
Perhaps you do not understand the comment about water in the gas. No it does not refer to rain leaking in or some other precipitation. It refers to hygroscopic condensation when the car is sitting unused for a long period of time.

Back