1964 what engine do i have? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1964 what engine do i have?

• Thread starter Thread starter Jonah
  • Start date Start date
Jonah
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I am very confused about my engine. the original engine is a 390 with a 4 bbl carb. mine has a 2 bbl carb on it but everything eles in my engine bay looks just like the 390 so i came here looking for some help.image.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The F/E series of engines are all basically identical externally. You could check the stroke of the crankshaft, or with a bore scope you may be able gauge the dish in the piston (if it's stock). Or pull the oil pan to verify the crankshaft.
It's highly possible that you do have a 390, it probably came out of a Galaxie or truck.

I am very confused about my engine. the original engine is a 390 with a 4 bbl carb. mine has a 2 bbl carb on it but everything eles in my engine bay looks just like the 390 so i came here looking for some help.View attachment 31572
What Harley 74 said. Your car is 60 years old. Any previous owner could have swapped in any FE series engine. It could be a 352 to a 428……
Only way to be sure is to measure bore and stroke.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Back