1965 Engine Swap with 1969 390

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Currently getting my 1965 390 rebuilt and the shop has advised I look for a new donor engine. They said it appears mine has been rebuilt twice already. I have found a 390 from a 1969 thunderbird. I know for the most part a 390 is a 390 but does anyone know of any potential differences that will need to be addressed for the install? Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_2064.jpeg
    IMG_2064.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

No difference in the block. The later heads are not as good in my opinion. You would want to keep your original intake manifold.
However, by now that '69 block has probably been gone through before. What is the overbore on your '65 block? You could also resleeve your block back to std.

No difference in the block. The later heads are not as good in my opinion. You would want to keep your original intake manifold.
However, by now that '69 block has probably been gone through before. What is the overbore on your '65 block? You could also resleeve your block back to std.
The shop told me that it is .060 over bore.

If you go the replacement route make sure you are getting a block that has not been excessively bored. You may want to inquire about the cost of sleeving vs. the cost of a used block.

Whew! I thought somebody really got you. .060 is about as far as you can safely go on most blocks.

Yeah that’s what the shop told me. They said they could sleeve it but I would be better off finding a donor

@risden4059 , I worked for a Ford authorized remanufacturer for several years as a young man. From my point of view a block correctly sleeved is actually stronger than the original block. Sleeving is not much more expensive than boring, and buying a replacement block,and boring that has got to be close or exceed the cost of sleeving. And you would retain the original block, and have a standard bore.

Back