1962 Oil and Trans fluid

F
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am looking on changing my oil and trans fluid on a new to me 62 thunderbird. I have no idea what oil I have in there now and what oil I should use. I assume that I should use oil with some kind of zinc or a zinc additive. I think it has the original 390 and cruise-o-matic.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I am looking on changing my oil and trans fluid on a new to me 62 thunderbird. I have no idea what oil I have in there now and what oil I should use. I assume that I should use oil with some kind of zinc or a zinc additive. I think it has the original 390 and cruise-o-matic.
I use Rotelle T4 for my 312 and Type F for my Fordomatic. I would recommend same for your setup but you will hear a lot of different recommendations.

Does it have zinc? if not do you include a zinc additive?

Does it have zinc? if not do you include a zinc additive?
Shell Rotella T4 does have zinc but you can use a zinc additive as well but only 1 treatment per oil change. I also add Marvel Mystery Oil each time I do an oil change. I will substitute 1 quart of oil for 1 quart of Marvel so 4 qts Rotella plus 1 quart of Mystery Oil and every other oil change I may add a zinc additive. I do not use Marvel Mystery Oil in the transmission. Some say yes and others no but it can loosen debris in the transmission that can clog the valve body as well as damage the seals.

Back