1964 dash lights & gauge cluster not working | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1964 dash lights & gauge cluster not working

• Thread starter Thread starter buddro0202
  • Start date Start date
buddro0202
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I am wanting to get a second opinion before I tear the cluster gauge apart. My dash lights and gauge cluster are not working. Most threads I have read through points towards the cluster voltage regulator. I put a meter to it. I have 4 volts pulsing and 12 volts constant on the other side. Checked all the fuses. Checked the cab ground. Taillights, headlights, turn signals are all operating as advertised. Just having issues with the gauge cluster/ dash lights.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The voltage regulator has no effect on your gauge lights and I don't believe it has any effect on your ammeter. If nothing is working I would look for a bad ground.

Inspector has good advice, but dash lights not working are frequently caused by a faulty headlight switch.
This is where it gets interesting. Be careful ordering a new headlight switch (if you go that route). Ford made TWO different headlight switches for the 1964 TBird. Only one is available.

When you remove and inspect the headlight switch, you will see a round white insulator with what looks like a spring imbedded in it. If that spring is not broken then the issue is dirty connection at each rivet. I have in the past soldered each joint to restore the connection

Yes, the "wound" spring in the headlight switch is the dimming rheostat and it could be dirty or broken.
However you have multiple issues or a single issue with multiple symptoms if the cluster gauges are inoperative and that does sound like the cluster ground. I would try a jumper between a known good ground and the cluster..

Back