1964 Changing a Speedometer Cable | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1964 Changing a Speedometer Cable

Hoopy
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
A couple questions on this fix. Any insights or recommendations are appreciated. I’ve changed the headlight switch (still need to shorten the stalk) and the Neutral Safety Switch (works great but now there’s a new hissing vacuum leak I need to tend to).

1. I haven’t dug into this part of the dash of my new-ish TBird. All posts indicate taking out the clock to reach the interior cable, but what about the housing and vent/wiper levers surrounding the clock? It seems the housing holding the maps lights should be removed – but how? With the clock and trim out, can the speedo be reached easily?

1a. I figured this is also a good time to changeout the center dash speaker at the same time – a reasonable thought?

2. I followed the cable through the engine bay back to the transmission, when I remove the old cable should I expect a lot of transmission fluid to come out?

3. My speedo kit came with a rubber grommet/rubber O-Ring for the transmission, any advice how to approach without making a “leaky” mistake down the road?

4. I watched a video for a 1964 Mustang speedo change, and the mechanic mentioned a metal clip to hold the plastic gear, my Birds Nest kit didn’t come with one. Is it okay to reuse the metal clip?

5. Last question, at the firewall, there’s rubber grommet surrounding the speedo cable, I’m guessing it original and that it will fall apart at the removal of the old one. Anyone know where I can find a new one?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If you look at the back of the levers there is a small screws, remove those and that releases the knobs, then there should be at least 4 screws underneath the dash at the side of the housing, it will drop down with all the electrical parts leaving the levers and cables attached.
Yes this is the perfect chance and time to change the speaker is right there...not sure if you have to drop the cables down or not but I took my out without doing that, but I never put a new one back in.

You should expect maybe a couple ounces of fluid loss, jack it up from the back or evenly on the drivers side minimizes this as well.

On the "O" ring, take the old one out with a dental tool or small screwdriver, clean the area and in the groove, lube up the area and the "O" ring with a nice silicone grease and maybe add some more before pushing back in the transmission .... It's fine to reuse the small clip on the gear as long as you don't loose or beak it...lol...but you should be able to get one at your local dealer.

If you are careful you may be surprised and get the grommet out, but if not you can use any one that will fit the firewall, will have to modify one I'm sure, the point is to secure the cable from rubbing on the firewall and to seal the cabin from fumes and air from the engine compartment.

Try not to stress it, your doing fine, anything can be fixed in time on these cars except maybe frame rot...lol

Back