1955 T-Bird Speedometer Cable and Angle Drive Issues

Martin P

Martin P

1955 Ford Thunderbird Raven Black
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am having difficulty finding a suitable replacement speedometer Cable that will work with existing Angle Driver. The current Angle Driver appears to have an Extension on it which doesn't resemble the current offerings of this part, The Transmission side of the Cable which screws into this Angle Driver has a 1/4" flat driver piece which can be removed from the Angle Driver end, the new Cables offered do not match up with this Fitting so the next approach was to replace the Angle Driver and the Cable which compatible connections however the current extension seen in these images is throwing me. Has anyone information on what the best approach would be? I am attaching images of the Angle Driver that is attached to the Transmission. angle driver.jpg

Attachments

• angle driver image 2.jpg
    angle driver image 2.jpg
    771.3 KB · Views: 3

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I am not familiar with that angle drive. But attached is what my 55 looks like.
20190709_172253.jpg20190709_172157.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not familiar with that angle drive. But attached is what my 55 looks like.

I inserted your photos as full-sized images into your post. Here is how-

Last edited:
Yes that is the one. Did you by chance order a cable fir yours that fits into this? This is where my
Problem lies trying to find a cable that works with this drive unit

I ordered the one from hills. Yours appears to have a larger Male end, where mine has a smaller female to turn the cable

Yes that is the one. Did you by chance order a cable fir yours that fits into this? This is where my
Problem lies trying to find a cable that works with this drive unit
I just realized, that in your pictures we're looking at the backside of where the cable is going to connect

I wasn’t able to get the correct cable so what I did was lubricate end end that fits to back of speedometer and that stopped it from jumping around so at the moment it is working fine however down the road might be an issue the cable got fried near the manifold so I know eventually I will need to replace the cable but until I get the correct cable I have a band aide on this

There's also an oil wick hole on the top side of that same area, but the only decent way to get to it to oil is by pulling the whole thing toward the steering wheel. Ive tried oiling it from below and have had no success however, I have read of some people having positive results from an oil can with bendable nozzle and pump.

There's also an oil wick hole on the top side of that same area, but the only decent way to get to it to oil is by pulling the whole thing toward the steering wheel. Ive tried oiling it from below and have had no success however, I have read of some people having positive results from an oil can with bendable nozzle and pump.
Get some sewing machine oil. It comes with a flexible pull out snorkel tube that you can get to the top of the speedometer. It's in a squeeze bottle. I use it on my mechanical clock bearings also.

Attached is an article I wrote about the speedometer lubrication on my 1955 Thunderbird.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Speedometer Lubrication.pdf
    148.7 KB · Views: 11
Back