1964 Brake Improvement Tips | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1964 Brake Improvement Tips

• Thread starter Thread starter BigClay
  • Start date Start date
BigClay

BigClay

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Hi everyone. Just wanted to share this: Several years ago I decided to install Disc Brakes on my ‘64 Convertible. They worked a little better than the drums. A year went by and I installed Rear Discs. They worked “better” but I still wasn’t impressed. I then installed a Dual Master Cylinder and converted to a “dual system”, but brakes were so-so…….hard pedal, but no stopping power.
I tested pressures to all four wheels and was getting only 600psi. (Discs need 1000). To shorten this long story: I just installed a Vacuum Booster Pump. (Bought it from Jegs. Simple installation) Now I have the brakes I’ve been looking for!
I can even “lock them up”! Never possible before. For those of you that think I am running “too radical of a camshaft”, I have a Cobra Jet 390 grind, but only getting 13” of vacuum. Discs need more!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi everyone. Just wanted to share this: Several years ago I decided to install Disc Brakes on my ‘64 Convertible. They worked a little better than the drums. A year went by and I installed Rear Discs. They worked “better” but I still wasn’t impressed. I then installed a Dual Master Cylinder and converted to a “dual system”, but brakes were so-so…….hard pedal, but no stopping power.
I tested pressures to all four wheels and was getting only 600psi. (Discs need 1000). To shorten this long story: I just installed a Vacuum Booster Pump. (Bought it from Jegs. Simple installation) Now I have the brakes I’ve been looking for!
I can even “lock them up”! Never possible before. For those of you that think I am running “too radical of a camshaft”, I have a Cobra Jet 390 grind, but only getting 13” of vacuum. Discs need more!
Congrat's on the changes. Sounds great! I'm curious how you got the dual master cylinder to fit. Can you send pictures? I've never found a good way to do this without cutting into the inner fender, removing the shock tower brace, or retrofitting a Toyota or other master cylinder or booster. What am I missing? Thanks.

Congrat's on the changes. Sounds great! I'm curious how you got the dual master cylinder to fit. Can you send pictures? I've never found a good way to do this without cutting into the inner fender, removing the shock tower brace, or retrofitting a Toyota or other master cylinder or booster. What am I missing? Thanks.
Use a Tuff Stuff Performance 2131NB-2 booster and dual master.

Modify the operating end by trimming it. OE booster compared to new:b1.jpgb2.jpg

Could you tell us more about your booster pump. Model #, cost, installation difficulty and photos of your installation.

Back