1957 Steering column install sequence | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1957 Steering column install sequence

• Thread starter Thread starter valhalla 4771
  • Start date Start date
valhalla 4771

valhalla 4771

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I’m reinstalling the steering column and want to get the correct sequence and location of the split steel firewall cover (part number unknown), rubber grommet (#3512), and the rubber steering column seal (#3513-A), and the steering column to dash insulator (#3683).
I think everything goes on the cabin side of the firewall. I further think the rubber steering column seal goes against the firewall, and the steel firewall cover screws into the firewall, covering the seal. Am I right so far?
But I’m clueless as to where the rubber grommet fits in.
And I have to order the steering column to dash insulator which appears to go between the horseshoe collar (3A673) and the steering column to dash clamp (#3678). Yes? Why would I choose white or black? And can this be installed after the column is reinstalled?
My wife tells me I’m clueless on any number of things, but this is my problem du jour.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

By NO means do I have this as gospel but I had been through the steering column on my ‘56 from removal to repair and re-install. You sequence of firewall seems just like I remember. As for the little dash insulator, my original is black. However, the white looked nice to me having a red & white interior so I I sent with it. I had to cheat a little as it would not stay in place as I kept repositioning the rubber installing it.

i am a solo performer and no one around to help for the two minutes it might take for an extra set of hands…. I placed 3 tiny dot so rubber cement in the groove and placed it in.

as for which color is correct? Build codes my reflect this but my car is very pretty, clean and TO ME, white looked nice.
purists WILL disagree…onthe other hand, it’s MY car ?

my original problem was …when telescoping the wheel, the slide stop screw was non existent and the column ,with a good tug, would slide out to the roof …( by the way. Thank you @doug7740 )

Back