1956 wire wheels - how to remove center/knock off cap | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1956 wire wheels - how to remove center/knock off cap

• Thread starter Thread starter FERENC
  • Start date Start date
FERENC
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Good day
How does one remove the knockoff/center caps on the 1956 wire wheels (48 spoke)
Just want to make sure before we attempt -
Appreciate the help

Many thanks,
Ferenc

This page contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I purchased high end chrome/stainless steel wire wheels, much like the Kelsey-Hayes type. The process is to tape two screwdrivers with enough tape to prevent chrome damage, but not too much to prevent the screwdriver from getting in between the cap and hub. Use flat bladed screwdrivers with the blade measuring between 3/8 and 1/2. Insert the first driver between the cap and wheel and gently pry up just enough to get the 2nd driver into the gap you just created, you can use a hammer if needed and than simple twist the 2nd driver to spring the cap from the wheel. These instructions come from Motorspot"s Tru-Spoke Wire Wheels". When reinstalling, do not try to place the the hubcap flat against the wheel, instead angle on edge into place and then hand hammer the opposite end in place.

Back