Tire rubbing on a 1956 skirt

ron56

ron56

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I bought a set of Wheels Vintiques wire wheels with BFG P205/75 R15 tires. If the wheel literature that shows the wheels have a 3 1/2 offset wasn't in fact only a 3 1/4 inch outset this choice of wheels and tires wouldn't have been much of a problem. To even begin to fit the first thing that had to go was the skirt locking loop. Next I needed to shorten the spinner on the wheel caps. This required grinding notches in the 3 spinner "ears" and grinding the backing plate for the cap. Doing this I reduced the width of the cap by 1/4 of a inch. This worked fine driving the car in a straight line but there was rubbing in the turns. Next I added a rear sway bar from Addco Industries. That did help, I could then make a hard left turn with no issue but not a hard right turn. It was clear that the right side tire to skirt clearance was less than the left side. The only thing I could see to do was to move the rear end to the left. I took the two rear spring retainers and ground the side of the locating boss off. I then cut notches in both the retainer and the rubber insulator to clear the rear end U-bolts. Putting it all back together but loosely, I used two hex threaded couplers and bolts between the spring and the backing plate to force the the rear end to the left. After tightening the U-bolts I had managed to move the rear end over 3/16 of a inch which then made both side clearance from the tire to the skirt the same. (it was off by 3/8 before I started) Now no issues with hard turns.
I've attached pictures showing some of the detail. One is of the tool to undo the skirt lock. I also ground one bent end sharp so it can be used to remove the wheel cap if needed. I use the tool to get between the lock and the bottom of the skirt and by moving the tool sideways it will act like a lever and unlock the skirt. The other bent end is to install the lock. It will fit between the tire and the lock arm and then pushing up it will engage the lock arm and drop it into the skirt groove.
IMG_0702.JPGIMG_0705.JPGIMG_0703.JPGIMG_0704.JPGIMG_0678.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I bought a set of Wheels Vintiques wire wheels with BFG P205/75 R15 tires. If the wheel literature that shows the wheels have a 3 1/2 offset wasn't in fact only a 3 1/4 inch outset this choice of wheels and tires wouldn't have been much of a problem. To even begin to fit the first thing that had to go was the skirt locking loop. Next I needed to shorten the spinner on the wheel caps. This required grinding notches in the 3 spinner "ears" and grinding the backing plate for the cap. Doing this I reduced the width of the cap by 1/4 of a inch. This worked fine driving the car in a straight line but there was rubbing in the turns. Next I added a rear sway bar from Addco Industries. That did help, I could then make a hard left turn with no issue but not a hard right turn. It was clear that the right side tire to skirt clearance was less than the left side. The only thing I could see to do was to move the rear end to the left. I took the two rear spring retainers and ground the side of the locating boss off. I then cut notches in both the retainer and the rubber insulator to clear the rear end U-bolts. Putting it all back together but loosely, I used two hex threaded couplers and bolts between the spring and the backing plate to force the the rear end to the left. After tightening the U-bolts I had managed to move the rear end over 3/16 of a inch which then made both side clearance from the tire to the skirt the same. (it was off by 3/8 before I started) Now no issues with hard turns.
I've attached pictures showing some of the detail. One is of the tool to undo the skirt lock. I also ground one bent end sharp so it can be used to remove the wheel cap if needed. I use the tool to get between the lock and the bottom of the skirt and by moving the tool sideways it will act like a lever and unlock the skirt. The other bent end is to install the lock. It will fit between the tire and the lock arm and then pushing up it will engage the lock arm and drop it into the skirt groove.
View attachment 21644View attachment 21645View attachment 21646View attachment 21647View attachment 21648
Dang! You must love those skirts!

IMHO skirts make the car! Original! Classy!

So, if the skirt option was not added to a 55, 56, 57, it's not "classy?" I had 2 sets of skirts for my 55-one set OEM, the other reproduction. I sold the reproduction skirts and put the OEM skirts in storage. My dad, from whom I inherited the car, liked the looks of the skirts but thought they were a pain in the ass, so he removed them. IMHO, skirts make the car look like a boat out of water.

So, if the skirt option was not added to a 55, 56, 57, it's not "classy?" I had 2 sets of skirts for my 55-one set OEM, the other reproduction. I sold the reproduction skirts and put the OEM skirts in storage. My dad, from whom I inherited the car, liked the looks of the skirts but thought they were a pain in the ass, so he removed them. IMHO, skirts make the car look like a boat out of water.
I think they finish the look. A little more streamlined With flush sides. They were very popular. At least they designed the wheel well so they looked decent with the skirts off. As designed they worked very well but as we know people like to style their cars to their own preference and there is nothing wrong with that. The issue arises with aftermarket wheels and rear ends that are off set or wiggle around too much.

I'd like to know if the skirts were standard which I think they were and had to have a deleted feature on order. Very rare if such happened like the radio, & heater which were an option but almost always ordered.

It's a timeless design that looks great with or without the skirts.

The attached articles list the common causes for the rear tire to fender skirt rub, and two options that can give you up to 1/4 inch clearance on each side.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Fender Skirt Tire Rub.jpg

Fender Skirt Tire Interfernce Option 1.jpg

Fender Skirt Tire Interference Option 2.jpg

Shirts were a production option, mine was ordered without skirts and no port holes
I have added both and like it better
I don’t think it looks bad with out them
Just a personal preference
Oh, ya, that’s what the little lady wanted
Can’t argue with that, right

I ran my 56 with drivers side skirt on & passenger side off, for 2 years, & no one seemed to notice.

"Rear fender shields" /skirts were an option for all three years; they were not standard equipment.

Although listed as an option, all Thunderbirds were furnished with rear fender shields.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Fender Shield - 1.jpg

Fender Shield - 2.jpg

I guess you missed CSPIDY's response, and "Virtually" doesn't mean all. There are only two ways to verify: You were present whenever car rolled off the assembly line, or you have all of the factory invoices. In the latter case, they aren't available for most 55s, including mine.

Yes, I read his response and he stated that his Thunderbird was ordered without fender skirts, he wasn’t talking about the rear fender shields on the fender skirts. If we are talking about the rear fender skirts, they were a popular option for the little birds and they originally cost around $28.95. Estimates are as high as 80% of T-Birds came off the line with them.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Well this post took a turn I wasn't expecting. Interesting debate on skirts or no skirts. I of course like the skirts on with radial tires and wire wheels. Without the mods there was no way that the brands of tires and wheels I chose would have worked. It was my intention to show one way that the skirts could fit without rubbing.

Yes, I read his response and he stated that his Thunderbird was ordered without fender skirts, he wasn’t talking about the rear fender shields on the fender skirts. If we are talking about the rear fender skirts, they were a popular option for the little birds and they originally cost around $28.95. Estimates are as high as 80% of T-Birds came off the line with them.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
1956 invoice $18.75

The invoice for my early 57 shows
FDR SHIELDS/FULL WHEEL CV 31.75
It has nothing listed for fender skirts

Back