1956 VIN & Frame Number don't match | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1956 VIN & Frame Number don't match

R
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Have a pretty high quality 1956. Looking at numbers I find that the VIN tag number and the frame number are off, but only by 2. That seems strange. Can it be a factory change or is it a non matching car? Non matching seems strange in how would someone find a frame and body only 2 numbers off? It, according to documents, went through a frame-off restoration, 10 years ago, at 35k miles and now has 41k. All else seems correct including the hardtop. Thanks, R

This page contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Have a pretty high quality 1956. Looking at numbers I find that the VIN tag number and the frame number are off, but only by 2. That seems strange. Can it be a factory change or is it a non matching car? Non matching seems strange in how would someone find a frame and body only 2 numbers off? It, according to documents, went through a frame-off restoration, 10 years ago, at 35k miles and now has 41k. All else seems correct including the hardtop. Thanks, R
Post photos of the VIN tag.

Which set of numbers match your title? If any... It's possible that the frame had rusted out, or the body received substantial damage, and one car was built from two or more parts cars.

The number on the vin plate. But I gave them that. What you say is possible, but again what are the chances of finding a frame and/or body that is only 2 numbers apart? Everything in the body, frame, engine, and total undercarriage looks almost like it rolled off the assembly line. A conundrum for sure. Surprised me.

One or the other mis-stamped ? I can tell you in the vintage Corvette world there have been a few isolated, but similar screw ups... Back in those days things were stamped or stenciled by human beings and they are fallible..

The frame number is what should be on the title and that is what DMV goes buy, there are 2 different places on the body that have the vin stamped I can’t remember where they are. If the Daya plate is new my guess would be that the person ordering the plate incorrectly gave the wrong number. You will have trouble selling it if the frame number doesn’t match the title and you should get it corrected.

Back