Question about repairing a rusted through 1956 frame

S
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I found a 1956 Thunderbird for restoration project and everything about the car is good including the price. The only thing I’m concerned about is there is a significant frame rot on the driver side. There’s a big hole in the frame right under the driver side door in the back side of the frame rail, facing inward, is pretty much nonexistent for five or 6 feet running down the link of the car. I know many would probably advise against buying a car like that, but everything has a price. Is this something that could be repaired without stripping the car off of the frame?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Run!-- don't walk away from that car. You are looking at an expensive repair of the one problem you can see. What about those problems you have not yet encountered. Shakespeare was right when he said, "When sorrows come, They come not single spies, But in battalions (Hamlet). A rusty frame suggests that more vulnerable parts of the car may also be rusty. There is no shortage of Early Birds from which to choose. Be patient and you will find a good car at a price you can afford. Good luck in your search!

I found a 1956 Thunderbird for restoration project and everything about the car is good including the price. The only thing I’m concerned about is there is a significant frame rot on the driver side. There’s a big hole in the frame right under the driver side door in the back side of the frame rail, facing inward, is pretty much nonexistent for five or 6 feet running down the link of the car. I know many would probably advise against buying a car like that, but everything has a price. Is this something that could be repaired without stripping the car off of the frame?
Anyting can be repaired it's only a matter of money. I would get a very good body man to come and examine your car to find out if there is more places they're going to need attention. The cost of repair plus the cost of the car should equal less than what you can buy a comprable car for once yours is finished. Don't forget there's going to be a lot of aggravation getting the major body work done on the car.

Start with the best Tbird you can afford. Much happier in the long run, personal experience.
Repairs are expensive and time consuming.
Find a Tbird you can drive and repair.

When it comes to rust it is always worse then it first appears. Frame repairs can be very tricky, welding with the body on can be very dificult and cause the frame to distort. I agree with the others run like a cat with its tail on fire.

You aren't going to find a non-restored T-Bird of that vintage without plenty of issues. But whether to tackle them or not mechancially is up to you. I bought a 1964 Corvette with a completely rusted frame. They said "$1,000 per frame bolt" whenever they remove the body, and it ended up more. But in the end it was worth every penny as they welded up the area and then painted the whole frame with aircraft paint to keep further rust off. You get the peace of mind of knowing things are rock solid when you buy a car cheaply and fix it up- but they always cost more than a comparable model already fixed. I enjoy the process and the satisfaction of the end result. So have it looked at by someone who could do the work, but keep it under consideration.

there is nothing magical about repairing a frame. Its IRON and made to be repaired. i too bought a rusted framed car. I am in the process of cutting out the rusted iron and welding in new. As far as the others advice, I can understand a person who has no welding and metal working knowledge would be scared of it, but find the right person for the job at hand. Good luck, Henry, Iowa

Remember in the end dude that restoring a car will almost always cost you more that you will ever get back if you ever plan on selling it in the end. Restoration is a work of love and dedication getting these cars back to being drivers again. Think long and hard before you pull the trigger. Don’t nessessarly run from frame rot. Anything can be patched/welded and mended with time and money. Question is are you willing to commit? If not then turn and walk away.

You can defiantly expect with that much frame rot that other parts near by have been compromised as well. Rust removal is a journey of discovery and exploration. Because you will find more than you ever possibly could think of. You can pretty much rebuild these cars from a catalogue or online sources. So parts availability is not really an issue. Sky’s the limit... how high are you willing to go?

Last edited:
If you want that properly repaired, the body and frame will definitely need to be separated.

Grind the rust off, lay a flat 1/4" thick and 5" wide about 24" long. Clamp it to the frame and weld it on . No one will ever know the difference.will hold forever.

Back