1956 reproduction spoked wheel covers vs. spoked wheels | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1956 reproduction spoked wheel covers vs. spoked wheels

• Thread starter Thread starter woodeye
  • Start date Start date
woodeye

woodeye

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion about after mkt spoke wheel caps vs new spoke full wheels. I have original ones and I tired of chasseing them down the road when they come off.
Thanks Jeff

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The original wheels flex especially when radial tires are on them. I could not keep the original 59 hubcaps on my 59, until I put disc brakes on car. New rims from Summit had to be used to clear calipers and hubcaps stay on new rims now. Also new rims are heavier, stronger.

I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion about after mkt spoke wheel caps vs new spoke full wheels. I have original ones and I tired of chasseing them down the road when they come off.
Thanks Jeff
When I bought my 56 it came with these American Racing wire wheels. They are a chrome steel wheel with a center wire basket that bolts to the wheel they give the appearance of a real wir wheel. Roger

Attachments

• 2A62AB2F-1300-4F8E-B266-FCA0DF6D4FA5.png
    2A62AB2F-1300-4F8E-B266-FCA0DF6D4FA5.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 36
What I like to know Rylie is your bumper something special. It doesn't at all look like my 56.
car show.jpg

What I like to know Rylie is your bumper something special. It doesn't at all look like my 56.
View attachment 31281
This was the bumpe that was on the car when I bought it. I didn’t realize it at the time that it was different no history on it ob after market. The car is not all period correct so I will kee it for now. If I decide to do a Restoration I will change it out for now I’ll just enjoy the car. The Baby Birds are head turners Roger .

This was the bumpe that was on the car when I bought it. I didn’t realize it at the time that it was different no history on it ob after market. The car is not all period correct so I will kee it for now. If I decide to do a Restoration I will change it out for now I’ll just enjoy the car. The Baby Birds are head turners Roger .
Does yours have cowl vents? I ask because it seems an aftermarket continental kit with exhaust running below, rather than through the bumper, may be a '55 made up to look like a '56.

Does yours have cowl vents? I ask because it seems an aftermarket continental kit with exhaust running below, rather than through the bumper, may be a '55 made up to look like a '56.
Yes the bumper does have vents this correcting the exhaust is on list to be done I’ve had the car for year and it’s coming along nicely now that the nice weather is here and there are car shows and cruise nights ever week it’s time to enjoy

Unfortunately, mine will likely stay in the garage this year. We moved to a house with a tiny garage that is currently filled with crap. I just got my knee replaced with the other to follow in a few weeks. Hopefully it'll be worth it in the long haul, but it precludes my being able to clear the garage or work on my 'Bird. At least I have it. Even if she's of the road for a year or more, she still lives in my garage!

Unfortunately, mine will likely stay in the garage this year. We moved to a house with a tiny garage that is currently filled with crap. I just got my knee replaced with the other to follow in a few weeks. Hopefully it'll be worth it in the long haul, but it precludes my being able to clear the garage or work on my 'Bird. At least I have it. Even if she's of the road for a year or more, she still lives in my garage!
Sorry to hear you won’t be able to get your T-bird out this year but Good luck with your surgery If it’s any consultation just owning and being able to look at these cars and for that matter any vintage car gets my heart racing I have a vintage Porsche and a vintage Mercedes’ as well and looking at the three of them lined up in the gar makes my day.

Sorry to hear you won’t be able to get your T-bird out this year but Good luck with your surgery If it’s any consultation just owning and being able to look at these cars and for that matter any vintage car gets my heart racing I have a vintage Porsche and a vintage Mercedes’ as well and looking at the three of them lined up in the gar makes my day.
While my wife is wonderful (she's put up with me for 34 years!), she's not a lover of old cars. Due to a lack of garage space, I had to part with my 1961 Corvair. We now have less than 1/2 the garage space we had then. If I didn't love that 'Bird so much, I'm sure it would be gone by now. I do consider it an honor and privilege to own my car and look forward to getting her back on the road, when possible.

While my wife is wonderful (she's put up with me for 34 years!), she's not a lover of old cars. Due to a lack of garage space, I had to part with my 1961 Corvair. We now have less than 1/2 the garage space we had then. If I didn't love that 'Bird so much, I'm sure it would be gone by now. I do consider it an honor and privilege to own my car and look forward to getting her back on the road, when possible.
The 911 was my first car and over the year with my business going up and down I probably would’ve gotten rid of it but my wife always said no way and the Mercedes is actually hers and I get to take care of it. When we build our retirement home a 3 car garage was a must. It’s a good thing I only had room on the property that cause if I had more room I’d probably have more cars.. The 3 cars we have now are all different and and we enjoy driving each of them.

I've always loved 911s and would love to have one. When I got out of the Corps in '80, I bought a 924. I wasn't in a position to buy a 911, so I bought a Porsche I could afford. I've always liked the SLs, as well. It sounds as if you have chosen your stable carefully. I always thought I'd do a ground up, bolt by bolt restoration on a '35 or '36 roadster as a retirement project. I'm beginning to wonder if my body will keep me from doing so. We'll see what's left after these knees settle in.

I've always loved 911s and would love to have one. When I got out of the Corps in '80, I bought a 924. I wasn't in a position to buy a 911, so I bought a Porsche I could afford. I've always liked the SLs, as well. It sounds as if you have chosen your stable carefully. I always thought I'd do a ground up, bolt by bolt restoration on a '35 or '36 roadster as a retirement project. I'm beginning to wonder if my body will keep me from doing so. We'll see what's left after these knees settle in.
Will cer give yo the incentive to get back to good health a few years ago I blew out my knee and knowing I had to work on getting my knee back in shape so I could get behind the wheel of my 911 was all the incentive I needed. It’s amazing what the passion for fine cars will do. Good Luck!

Back