Ideas for dissembling 1956 throttle linkage

ron56

ron56

Last seen
Viewing forum 1955 - 1966 Classic Ford Thunderbird
Thunderbird Year
I would like to chrome plate my 1956 throttle linkage. My problem is I can't see any good way to take it apart. Has anyone been down this road before? If so how did you do it? If no one has any ideas here is what I'm thinking. First I'll file a flat across the 3/8 inch shaft on the underneath side of the mounting bracket. Then I'll saw the shaft in two so that way everthing will come apart. On reassembling I'll use a 3/8 inch ID shaft coupling which is 1 inch long and tighten the coupler set screws down on the flats that I filed. That way everthing hopefully will line back up. Attached picture shows the shaft that I'm IMG_0863.JPGwriting about.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I'm restoring a '57 it looks a little different then your's. I took mine apart because it had a lot of play where the 3/8" shaft goes thru. Mine was welded on 1 end. I ground it off, then went to a parts store and bought door hinge bushing kit. I think I had to twek one hole a little. Welded the shaft back in, was easy fix. I did have another complete piece to look at. TAKE A LOT OF PICTURES. You can mark the correct location with a small file.

Back