Wire wheel problems with tubes 1956

ron56

ron56

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a set of Vintiques wire wheels with BFG 201/75 R15 on my 1956. When I first got these wheels I was told that I could mount them tubeless. Not to be when the tires/wheels arrived one tire had already deflated. I've had more than my share of problem trying to get inner tubes to work. I glued rubber across the spokes which stopped the tubes from wearing from that area. Last weekend I had a blowout and after examining the aftermath it looks like tube failed from rubbing the inside of the tire not the wheel. These tires/tubes were mounting using plenty of talcum powder.
My question is, has anyone used the PVC tape to cover the complete wheel and then mounted the tires tubeless with success? I could see wrapping the entire wheel from edge to edge with a good bit of overlap and then using silicone sealer over the tape edges. I bought some of the tape to cover the seam of the rubber boot and it looks to be very sticky but on the roll it states to use to wrap cold pipes only. That might speak to the fact that it could fail with higher temperature.IMG_0755.JPG

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi when I was a young man I worked at a tire shop a number of years. We used what was called a boot, like the one used on a truck split rim. I would use a tube also.

I have a set of Vintiques wire wheels with BFG 201/75 R15 on my 1956. When I first got these wheels I was told that I could mount them tubeless. Not to be when the tires/wheels arrived one tire had already deflated. I've had more than my share of problem trying to get inner tubes to work. I glued rubber across the spokes which stopped the tubes from wearing from that area. Last weekend I had a blowout and after examining the aftermath it looks like tube failed from rubbing the inside of the tire not the wheel. These tires/tubes were mounting using plenty of talcum powder.
My question is, has anyone used the PVC tape to cover the complete wheel and then mounted the tires tubeless with success? I could see wrapping the entire wheel from edge to edge with a good bit of overlap and then using silicone sealer over the tape edges. I bought some of the tape to cover the seam of the rubber boot and it looks to be very sticky but on the roll it states to use to wrap cold pipes only. That might speak to the fact that it could fail with higher temperature.View attachment 22820
Sounds like you took proper precautions. I don't know if a spray sealant like Flex Seal would work on the wheels to help cover the spoke mounts but you stated that the tube rubbing the tire caused your last problem. Not enough talc? Overly flexible tires because not enough tire pressure? Maybe even silicone spray if it can be confirmed it will not affect rubber? How old are they and have they been checked that all the spokes are correctly tuned? I'm surprised Knuckle hasn't chimed in. He is an expert on wire wheels as he'd delt with classic motorcycles.
I would contact the manufacturer and see what they have to say. Personally I think they are very classy looking but are heavier than steel wheels affecting the ride and harder to clean than a crystal chandelier.

My question is, has anyone used the PVC tape to cover the complete wheel and then mounted the tires tubeless with success? I could see wrapping the entire wheel from edge to edge with a good bit of overlap and then using silicone sealer over the tape edges. I bought some of the tape to cover the seam of the rubber boot and it looks to be very sticky but on the roll it states to use to wrap cold pipes only. That might speak to the fact that it could fail with higher temperature.View attachment 22820
I have used the same tape as you, and have had no problems for more than 10 years.

RLB, Question for you. After using the PVC tape do you run your tires tubeless or use use tubes? The tire I'm using the BFG radial looks to be made to wear tubes. See attached photo. The exposed ribs inside the tire I think would wear out any tube over time. I wonder if the ribs are structurally used in all radial tires or unique to BFG.
IMG_0756.JPG

RLB, Question for you. After using the PVC tape do you run your tires tubeless or use use tubes? The tire I'm using the BFG radial looks to be made to wear tubes. See attached photo. The exposed ribs inside the tire I think would wear out any tube over time. I wonder if the ribs are structurally used in all radial tires or unique to BFG.
View attachment 22893
I run tubes. If the tires are kept inflated, there should be no rubbing. Good luck

My question is, has anyone used the PVC tape to cover the complete wheel and then mounted the tires tubeless with success? I could see wrapping the entire wheel from edge to edge with a good bit of overlap and then using silicone sealer over the tape edges. I bought some of the tape to cover the seam of the rubber boot and it looks to be very sticky but on the roll it states to use to wrap cold pipes only. That might speak to the fact that it could fail with higher temperature.
I hadn't considered that potential problem. I'll be putting chrome spokes on mine sometime in the not to distant future; I'll watch this thread to see what the potential problems/fixes might be. I've always liked the look of the chrome spokes on a baby 'Bird. They add a bit of flash to an already timeless classic.

Back