1956 doors leaking in the rain | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1956 doors leaking in the rain

• Thread starter Thread starter lightfoot
  • Start date Start date
L

lightfoot

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Good morning

We just got our car back from getting painted. We went on a drive and it started raining. Well both mine and my wife's legs got wet. There is a new door gaskets so I am lost to why it is not sealing. I can't find good quality photos to see what it should look like or where it should go. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Gordon

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Your subject "1956 Door gasket" has been revised. Please choose a subject that summarizes what your post is about so you will get more responses.

model-year.jpg

You will find these T Bird suppliers with the correct gasket:
Larry's Thunderbird , Dennis Carpenter, Concours Parts, and Casco. You'll find on the internet.

I'm more curious about how your legs can get wet from the door seals.

Sure. The front of the door water poured in as it was a funnel. I guess the gasket is misaligned or ??

Gordon

There is a thin gasket on the dogleg in addition to the regular sized gasket that goes all around the door. It is there to help prevent that water intrusion. Also, they added a hole into the top of the door dogleg to drain off the water that thin gasket trapped. Don't have a picture handy but if you look in parts catalogs, at least for the 57's you should see it listed.

Besides the gaskets that go around the door near the inner door lip, did you replace the gasket at the inside and outside of the side window posts and the extra gaskets at the dog leg of both doors. the window post and side window needs to be adjusted and also check the hard or soft top weatherstripping in the side window area.

Good morning

We just got our car back from getting painted. We went on a drive and it started raining. Well both mine and my wife's legs got wet. There is a new door gaskets so I am lost to why it is not sealing. I can't find good quality photos to see what it should look like or where it should go. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Gordon

First we’ll blame the top, as they all leak, some worse than others. In 1955 and again in 1956 Ford released Product Service Letter 1143 and P-316 to address the water leaking in the car. Product Service Letter 1143 address water leaks around the dog leg trough of the door hinge pillar, and Product Service Letter P-316 addresses water leaks the top.

Now let’s look at the real problems. I have seen too many floors so wet that all the water could not possibly have leaked past the top weather stripping.

Check the windshield weather-strip; it gets old and cracks, or if replaced recently, somebody probably cleaned the old black sealant from the windshield frame and didn’t replace it because they thought the new rubber gasket would seal. WRONG! Water will flow up and over the windshield frame, under the gasket, behind the dash and onto the floor. The faster you drive, the faster the water comes in.

Another problem is the escutcheons on the windshield wipers (the little chrome wedge with the nut holding it to the car body). It’s supposed to have a gasket under it, and sometimes the gasket, if it is there at all, is deformed, allowing water to collect in these recessed areas and then flow through the cowl directly on to your feet. Again, a little sealant and a new gasket should solve the problem.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
1143 Water Leks.jpg

Service Letter P-316.JPG

Back