1955 Reproduction data place using serial number plate | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1955 Reproduction data place using serial number plate

• Thread starter Thread starter tbclaus
  • Start date Start date
tbclaus
Reaction score
Good morning - I am purchasing a 1955 Tbird with a VIN / Serial Number Plate only. Owner says original data plate was lost. The Vin number on the firewall matches the title Vin. Is there a way to research using the serial number only the resto of the information for the full data plate in order to purchase a reproduction one. Thank you

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It's interesting to me that anyone would remove the original data plate. If I recall from other threads there should be a VIN stamped on the frame under the area of the battery box. Hopefully they match.
As stated above you have a later serial number and They have the original invoice. You can get re-stamped data plates but you have to have tons of documentation.
Dig in and look for hidden paint to determine the original color unless it was completely stripped, are all the accessories period correct, tops, drop curtain, carb, air cleaner, is it still 6V or converted to 12V generator or alternator etc.. If you haven't yet gone through the transaction I would grill the current owner on how much of the providence he knows and what he can produce or is just flipping it. You are not just buying a body unless you know it is a resto-mod and act and price accordingly.

It's interesting to me that anyone would remove the original data plate. If I recall from other threads there should be a VIN stamped on the frame under the area of the battery box. Hopefully they match.
Ward your are incorrect on the location of the serial number on the frame. The VIN is stamped on the frame in three locations. The only one that you can see with the body on the frame is located on the passenger side frame in the area forward the heater motor.

If tbclaus could give us the Vin number on the firewall that matches the title, I might be able to give him more information.
19154_e059f8ea2cd7b918267f0a836ddaf105_1.jpg19154_e059f8ea2cd7b918267f0a836ddaf105_2.jpg

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Ward your are incorrect on the location of the serial number on the frame. The VIN is stamped on the frame in three locations. The only one that you can see with the body on the frame is located on the passenger side frame in the area forward the heater motor.

If tbclaus could give us the Vin number on the firewall that matches the title, I might be able to give him more information.
View attachment 19755View attachment 19756

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Thanks. I looked closer and the vin number on the frame does not match th vin on the title. The vin on the title is not a complete third vin number. Someone along the way put on a replacement vin tag. Is there any way to know if the frame matches the body

Hmmm I wonder if the frame was replaced due to rust or an accident? Decades ago it was not that uncommon. Now removing VIN #s from a vehicle can cause major problems including jail time. There is a legal battle going on now in Kansas with a 63? corvette that was restored, sold and now impounded due to a removed vin tag.

It looks more likely that the VIN tag was altered. Does not look anything like an original. Many states have had different reg. rules until the NTSB did some standardizing. Could be many reasons why it was issued a new VIN. Southern states were pretty liberal in that area. Had a significant other in a former life that got Alabama plates for an Opel GT that I loaned to her but that I still had title to but they didn't care.
I'd stick with the frame VIN and have a conversation with you're state DMV and see if they have any records and clean up the documentation.

Back