1955 Serial number decoding

zeroroadkill

zeroroadkill

BlackBird Fly
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
On the serial number plate I found two different explanations for the last 3 numbers:

CASCO and AutomotiveMilePost say that the last numbers of the production code are the scheduled number of ALL cars (not just T-Birds) scheduled to be built on that date.

Classic Thunderbird Club of Chicagoland says " Following the month of year code will be the sales district code where the vehicle was scheduled to be shipped. Sales district codes were not used on 1955 models until approximately Nov. 1, 1954 "

So which is it? The number of scheduled vehicles (not only Thunderbird) to be assembled that date OR the number of Thunderbird or ALL fords were to be shipped to that sales district?

Thanks

On the serial number plate I found two different explanations for the last 3 numbers:

CASCO and AutomotiveMilePost say that the last numbers of the production code are the scheduled number of ALL cars (not just T-Birds) scheduled to be built on that date.

Classic Thunderbird Club of Chicagoland says " Following the month of year code will be the sales district code where the vehicle was scheduled to be shipped. Sales district codes were not used on 1955 models until approximately Nov. 1, 1954 "

So which is it? The number of scheduled vehicles (not only Thunderbird) to be assembled that date OR the number of Thunderbird or ALL fords were to be shipped to that sales district?

Thanks
I also have a weird sales code. But chalked it up to the early times. I'll post if ya wanna see

The last set of numbers with the exception of 1957 models produced after April 19, 1957 is the scheduled Thunderbird to be shipped to the sales district code indicated on the data plate.

Example: Sales District - Sales District LP (Los Angeles for 1955/56 models). If the number was 521 it was the 521st Thunderbird shipped to that district. If the number exceeded 999 the second letter was dropped from the district code and it would read L 1000 and on. In 1957 numbers were used for district codes. Example: 71 (Los Angeles) If the number was 0521 it would have been the 521st Thunderbird shipped to that district. If the number exceeded 999 the district code remained 71 and 1000 and beyond would follow the district code."

You see here is the perfect example of different answers. I see publications that state the last numbers are:
1. The scheduled number of vehicles (not just Thunderbirds) to be made that date.
2. The scheduled number of Thunderbirds to be made that date.
3. The number of your vehicle manufactured that date. In my case the 771st vehicle that date.
4. The scheduled number of Thunderbirds to be shipped to a sales region (which I doubt as in my case 771 Thunderbirds to be shipped to the San Jose sales district unless that covers ALL of Northern Calif)???

So does this mean I have to spend $14 + shipping to get this book? LOL!!!

Ok, Batman riddle me this...

Thanks
The last numbers on the top line of the VIN are the consecutive unit numbers of all Ford cars assembled. The last numbers on the bottom line of the VIN are number of Thunderbirds shipped to that Sales District.

For example here the VIN on my 1955 Thunderbird:

P5FH124206
40A T C 20MRI116

P = Engine Code - 292 Cubic Inch Displacement (198 HP with Fordomatic Transmission)
5 = Model Year - 1955
F = Assembly Plant - Dearborn
H = Body Style - Thunderbird
124206 = Consecutive Unit Number of All Ford Cars Assembled

40A = Body Type (All 1955 & 1956 Ford Cars Were Coded 40A)
T = Body Color - Thunderbird Blue (If A Second Letter Shows, It Indicates A Different Color for the Hardtop)
C = Trim Color - Turquoise/White
20 = Day of the Month
M = Month - December
RI = Sales Area District - Richmond, California
116 = The 116th Thunderbird Shipped to the Richmond, California District for the 1955 Model Year.

Attached is an article from the January/February 2015 Early Bird magazine that explains the different Ford Sales Districts.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Ford Sales Districts.PDF
    610 KB · Views: 20
The last numbers on the top line of the VIN are the consecutive unit numbers of all Ford cars assembled. The last numbers on the bottom line of the VIN are number of Thunderbirds shipped to that Sales District.

For example here the VIN on my 1955 Thunderbird:

P5FH124206
40A T C 20MRI116

P = Engine Code - 292 Cubic Inch Displacement (198 HP with Fordomatic Transmission)
5 = Model Year - 1955
124206 = Consecutive Unit Number of All Ford Cars Assembled

T = Body Color - Thunderbird Blue (If A Second Letter Shows, It Indicates A Different Color for the Hardtop)
C = Trim Color - Turquoise/White
20 = Day of the Month
M = Month - December
RI = Sales Area District - Richmond, California
116 = The 116th Thunderbird Shipped to the Richmond, California District for the 1955 Model Year.

Attached is an article from the January/February 2015 Early Bird magazine that explains the different Ford Sales Districts.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
My sales area code for my 1955 is BU - do you know what sales area that is for?

Is it possible that the Sales Area Code on your VIN plate is SU (Houston)? Could you attach a photo of your VIN plate? If I don't know the answer I'm sure that Dave Tulowitzky, who is also on this forum, would know.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

BU is for Buffalo.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
My sales area code for my 1955 is BU - do you know what sales area that is for?
P5FH210389
40A R B 23EBU20

P = Engine Code - 292 Cubic Inch Displacement
5 = Model Year - 1955
210389 = Consecutive Unit Number of All Ford Cars Assembled

R = Body Color – Torch Red (If A Second Letter Shows, It Indicates A Different Color for the Hardtop)
B = Trim Color - Red/White
23 = Day of the Month
E = Month - May
BU = Sales Area District – Buffalo (BU was used in 1955, BF in 1956 and 12 was used in 1957)
20 = The 20th Thunderbird shipped to the Buffalo District for the 1955 model year

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Last edited:
Back