02-05 Convertible top separation

Aquarius

Aquarius

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My top is separating from the glass at the bottom. I've seen this discussed before and was wondering if I just ran a bead of clear silicone to make the bond. Anybody hear of anyone doing this?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

There are several important things to consider when gluing anything, especially something such as the back window you mentioned. One is to make sure you are using the right glue for the application. Two, make sure the surfaces are clean. Three, has to be applied properly and allowed to dry. If done wrong, you can end up with a bigger mess than you started with. I would google it and do my research first.

I took mine to an upholstery and convertible top shop. For 75 bucks they sealed my back glass with a special sealant. Been over a year and the glass is still sealed. Not a drop off water comes in. The sealant is designed for the heat and cold.

I just did 2 rear lower window full re-attachments using 3M Superfast urethane 08609 sealant...great stuff! These were partially detached, so I pulled them apart and applied the urethane. A tube is around $26 - 32 bucks that fits in a caulking gun. Clean the surfaces well using alcohol (not beer or vodka!) and apply pressure once the urethane is applied . I use a razor blade to cut away excess from the window afterwards. Cut a line along the material edge and then come from above to get under it and lift it after mostly dried. My Interior guy turned me on to the urethane.

I have separation with my back window, but it is at the top; anyone have any ideas on this part of the convertible top. I've tried a few things, with little success; a shop that does convertible tops told me almost impossible to reseal at top, said to either replace whole thing, or try some type of strong duct tape to keep in place. I don't use the convertible top that much, unless for rain.

I don’t see why the same process with the 3M wont work. As long as there is material to bond to and you can apply pressure to keep the 2 surfaces together for a good 6 hours... takes 12 hours to fully cure... what do u have to lose at this point?

I don’t see why the same process with the 3M wont work. As long as there is material to bond to and you can apply pressure to keep the 2 surfaces together for a good 6 hours... takes 12 hours to fully cure... what do u have to lose at this point?
I've tried a couple of things that hold for little while, thinking that opening and re-closing may be causing the fabric to stretch it out and loosen. will try 3M and see what happens.

I just looked at mine.... the top is supposed to be loose at the top of the back window, not glued to the glass like the bottom.

And if mine were loose and I didn't want to check with a convertible top shop for their recommendation, I would try gorilla glue and use duct tape to hold the top against the glass until it cured.

And if mine were loose and I didn't want to check with a convertible top shop for their recommendation, I would try gorilla glue and use duct tape to hold the top against the glass until it cured.

I did exactly what Harry recommended. 2-3 years ago and still holding well. I would just add to be careful and get the glue deep down enough so that it doesn't ooze out the top edge when the two pieces are pressed together. Leave the duct tape on over night! good luck.

I did exactly what Harry recommended. 2-3 years ago and still holding well. I would just add to be careful and get the glue deep down enough so that it doesn't ooze out the top edge when the two pieces are pressed together. Leave the duct tape on over night! good luck.
just to make sure, we are talking about gluing the top part of the glass to the inner liner, which is about 1/2 inch wide, right?

No, Bill is talking about gluing the BOTTOM 2-3 inches of the back glass to the fabric. The top and sides of the rear window ARE NOT to be glued, it didn't come from the factory like that and shouldn't be glued now. I'm pretty sure Bill is the one I got the idea of using gorilla glue from... read the instructions on the glue and be sure to dampen the fabric - that activates the glue.

The INSIDE of your back window at the top isn't loose is it?

No, Bill is talking about gluing the BOTTOM 2-3 inches of the back glass to the fabric. The top and sides of the rear window ARE NOT to be glued, it didn't come from the factory like that and shouldn't be glued now. I'm pretty sure Bill is the one I got the idea of using gorilla glue from... read the instructions on the glue and be sure to dampen the fabric - that activates the glue.

The INSIDE of your back window at the top isn't loose is it?
little confused, how, then, is the top of the glass secured to the fabric top, if not glued? the sides and bottom glass, for now, is secure. when I raise the top, the top part of the glass back is about 2-3 inches open.

little confused, how, then, is the top of the glass secured to the fabric top, if not glued? the sides and bottom glass, for now, is secure. when I raise the top, the top part of the glass back is about 2-3 inches open.
The only issue I have ever seen with the back window and the soft top is the fabric at the bottom of the rear window separating from the glass. I have never heard of a problem with the top of the rear window. If your glass has separated at the TOP INSIDE then take it to a trim/top shop to be repaired. I can insert my fingers at the top of the back glass under the rag top and feel the top edge of the glass. The INSIDE of the back glass is glued to the INNER SOFTTOP.

The only issue I have ever seen with the back window and the soft top is the fabric at the bottom of the rear window separating from the glass. I have never heard of a problem with the top of the rear window. If your glass has separated at the TOP INSIDE then take it to a trim/top shop to be repaired. I can insert my fingers at the top of the back glass under the rag top and feel the top edge of the glass. The INSIDE of the back glass is glued to the INNER SOFTTOP.
yea, unfortunately, top shop I went to said didn't know of anyway to reseal where it will stay sealed. they suggested I try some strong tape, like super duct tape. I've tried a few things like that, but after short period of time, it comes loose again.

And btw, if you do use the Gorilla Glue, follow directions and first dampen the fabric side that will mate to the glass - maybe wipe the inside surface with a wet sponge.

I just did 2 rear lower window full re-attachments using 3M Superfast urethane 08609 sealant...great stuff! These were partially detached, so I pulled them apart and applied the urethane. A tube is around $26 - 32 bucks that fits in a caulking gun. Clean the surfaces well using alcohol (not beer or vodka!) and apply pressure once the urethane is applied . I use a razor blade to cut away excess from the window afterwards. Cut a line along the material edge and then come from above to get under it and lift it after mostly dried. My Interior guy turned me on to the urethane.

You and others have advised to add "Pressure" for 6 hours or allow to dry overnight. Question: How do you apply the pressure or what do you use to apply the pressure?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Duct tape from the fabric to the glass will hold it down. Then press the fabric down firmly against the glass. Maybe you can stuff something from the inside of the glass to press outward.

Thanks Quickdraw will try this week end!

Back