02-05 Convertible top separation

I am a little confused here. Are we talking about the glass separating from the canvas from INSIDE of the car or OUTSIDE of the car? From what I can see and feel, the canvas is NOT glue to the glass from the OUTSIDE all around (see pictures), but it is completely glued to the glass from the INSIDE all around. Please clarify!!!
P1550275_zpsyfdvo1sw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

my glass has come loose all along the top on the inside fabric, not the part depicted in the photos. it is attached to a small strip, maybe 3/4 inch wide. it is still attached on sides and bottom

Typically its glued to the inside on the top and sides. It's sandwiched on the bottom as that is the most likely leak path for water. There is a rain channel under it to catch rain and it provides a leak path down in front of your inner wheel well. Rain will collect in the bottom flap if it is not sealed. I have 2 factory soft tops and both are sealed on the lower outer flap.

Typically its glued to the inside on the top and sides. It's sandwiched on the bottom as that is the most likely leak path for water. There is a rain channel under it to catch rain and it provides a leak path down in front of your inner wheel well. Rain will collect in the bottom flap if it is not sealed. I have 2 factory soft tops and both are sealed on the lower outer flap.

Thanks T-Bird Brain......I will get lower outer flap re-glued with Gorilla glue as suggested by Harry.

I only use 3M superfast eurethane 08609 as it was recommended by my buddy who does high-end and classic car interior /conv top replacement/repairs. I've done my 2 tops and they are holding up great in FL weather. It's more pliable and I believe more waterproof than typical Gorilla Glue (more hard and brittle). Apply it to the glass contact area and not the entire gap area. Do your research on them, then decide.

my biggest problem when trying to re-glue the top of glass to inner lining is being able to keep the two parts secure long enough to, hopefully make a good bond. I've tried the duct tape avenue, no real success; I saw one response saying something about using clamps. lastly, when you have successfully done it in past, was top all way down, or just partial?

I've been successful at keeping the top up and tight, applying the urethane and apply some weight. I used wooden oak blocks I had. The eurethane is surprisingly sticky, fills and flows well and doesn't try to pull away from where you leave it.

when I have the top all the way up, I cannot get the glass to move high enough to fasten to the small strip it was originally glued to. only way it reaches, is with top 1/3 way down

I didn't have that issue, so tension was low. You may have more tension on your lower fabric since u'll be "pulling" it up. U can try the urethane (it is strong), and if it does not hold, use a razor to scrape it off and try Gorilla Glue. Your material may have shrunk over time. How far off does the fabric miss it's mark with the top up? If it only misses by 1/4", I think u'll be OK.

unfortunately, it is about 1 1/2 inches apart. i'll get the urethane and try, just not sure, still, how to keep it secure for some time to help w/bonding process. thanks.

Wow that's a lot and I now see it in the pictures. It may be beyond repair, but it cant hurt to try. Maybe you can try bonding an intermediate piece of material as a gap patch (even if a strip of plastic). Just to keep the water out.

Yea, during hotter months here in Mississippi the hard top will stay on, just want convertible part in cooler weather in case it rains, or I have to go someplace for a period of time to lock the car. I hadn't thought about another piece of material (maybe like dark colored canvas) to fill the gap

I only use 3M superfast eurethane 08609 as it was recommended by my buddy who does high-end and classic car interior /conv top replacement/repairs. I've done my 2 tops and they are holding up great in FL weather. It's more pliable and I believe more waterproof than typical Gorilla Glue (more hard and brittle). Apply it to the glass contact area and not the entire gap area. Do your research on them, then decide.

I just re-glued my top yesterday (the outer bottom flap) and I used 3M SUPER 77 spray adhesive that I had great success in the past. I was at the store yesterday and about to the buy the Gorilla glue, but then I spotted the 3M SUPER 77 spray can and remember I used it before and still had a new can at home. Went back home and cleaned up the flap and started spraying and glued the bottom flap back.

my biggest problem when trying to re-glue the top of glass to inner lining is being able to keep the two parts secure long enough to, hopefully make a good bond. I've tried the duct tape avenue, no real success; I saw one response saying something about using clamps. lastly, when you have successfully done it in past, was top all way down, or just partial?

Duck tape is not strong enough to hold the glass in place for you while the adhesive is curing. I would try Gorilla tape (available at Walmart, Home Depot, etc.) and I personally think it's strong to hold the glass to the canvas. You can also try vinyl flooring tape, which is very strong as well. I used Gorilla tape to keep the lower outer flap and glass together after I re-glued it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back