2003-2005 Buyer Questions

C
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
None
Hi,

I have decided to buy an 03-05, only because (correct me if I'm wrong) 02's don't ever come with seat heaters. So here are a few newbie questions?

1. Did everyone model come with a hardtop and if so-are the top colors always supposed to match the car?
2. Were the soft Boots included-if not are they hard to find?
3. What are the obvious upgrades in the trim packages-tire sizes, etc.?
4. Are there any telltale signs I should be aware of when I look at these? I'll probably be buying a higher milage car.
5. Can you still buy Hardtop stands carriers?

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Last edited:
1. Did everyone model come with a hardtop? No, I don't think so. I have heard of new car buyers not getting a hard top. I'm not sure if they didn't want one, or if the dealer "forgot" to give it to them. My Hard top sits on a shelf. I took it off when I got the car (used 2003 in 2019) home & I have never used it.
and if so-are the top colors always supposed to match the car?. If you get a James Bond car the top is the same color as the car. I don't know about new,, but I have seen many color combinations. (black with a black or white top, white with a white or black top)
2. Were the Boots included-if not are they hard to find? Originally, yes. You can still find them. It's a good bargaining chip if it's missing.
3. What are the obvious upgrades in the trim packages-tire sizes, etc.? I haven't done any.
4. Are there any telltale signs I should be aware of when I look at these? I'll probably be buying a higher milage car. I think the same things you look for in any used car. Make sure EVERYTHING works. Lights, signals, the remote mirror control, inside trunk opener, everything. Check to see if the plastic exhaust tube is still on the trunk located battery.
5. Can you still buy Hard-top carriers? Yes just like you can still get Boots. If you looking Authentic ok, but Harbor Freight sells a furnature mover, a few 2x4's with carpet on top. put a back on it & you have one, or search this sight for HOISTS to store your top above the car. It takes 2 people to remove a top and place it on the carrier. With a hoist you can do that task yourself.
ALSO.. Search the=is page for ALL your answers. Enjoy your ride!

Good advice here. Many people have added stick on trim pieces. The only OEM chrome trim piece I know of is the hood scoop leading edge. Was an OEM option. The stick on's are almost impossible to remove. Would take a heat gun right next to paint so remove the head/tail lights if you are going to try. Buy new headlights if they have stick on's and they are at all hazy. Yes you can polish them but I tried and was not so good. Made a big difference. Trying to remove the stick on's was going to lead to destruction. I still have the stick on's on the tail lights because they want $1000 EACH for them. Have a pressure test done on your coolant sys. and check the expansion tank (aka: degas bottle) upper nipple for leaks or breakage (new one with lower hose about $50) and inspect all suspension pieces and bushings. Make sure it has a stock grille. Some idiot replaced mine which restricted air flow leading to overheat so they removed the front engine splash shield to get more air in. All corrected now at about $350. Leather: if the car is from a hot area, the leather will be un repairable as it is dried out and will not hold stitching. Just now getting replaced at about $3K. Ouch. Check for codes and have them fixed/cleared. End of lecture.

I have a 2004 Merlot Thunderbird that I purchased in 2021. My wife and I took it on Route 66 from Chicago to California and back home to Ohio via the northern route. We were on the road 28 days and 6,300 miles. There something about driving a Thunderbird on Route 66, on a sunny 75 degree day with the top down that can’t be described. I also have a 1955 Thunderbird that I drive locally 1,000 miles per year. As you can tell I would rather drive and enjoy my cars than just let them sit in a garage and look at them.

When I was going to purchase my 2004, I drove it normally and then aggressively to make sure there was no delayed transmission engagement at low speeds and turning corners, and there were no hard jerks of the transmission engaging.

Check out everything electrical, the electronic modules are big ticket items. Make sure the dash lights and shift indicator lights work, if they don't the the Front Electrical Module is probably defective.

Make sure the ignition coils and the wiper motor bracket seal campaign were performed.

You may want to check and make sure the latches for the top unfasten and fasten and don't forget to operate the convertible top. The tonneau cover for when the convertible is folded down and the hard top are optional features. You can choose the color of the optional hardtop based on the exterior color of your car.

Make sure the car comes with two sets of keys; a replacement set keys from Ford are costly.

Put the vehicle on a lift so you can check the brakes, tires, suspension, and the underside for any leaks or damage. Deteriorating suspension bushings are common.

Connect a scan tool, (if you have one), to the car's Data Link Connector so you can check to see if there are any fault codes in any of the control modules.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Standard Features 1.jpg

Standard Features 2.jpg

Best advise I've read yet....I've owned my 2005 for 5 years...only major item was the PCM (primary computer module) going out...which took several months to get a rebuilt one that would work.
I replaced the plugs and coils, and replaced the struts. When I bought I it put new tires on it. It had 39k miles on it. We still really enjoy driving it. We've taken several Blue Ridge Parkway trips which it is perfect for.
The only advise I'd add is to buy a lower milage car....and try to buy one direct from it's owner rather from a dealer.
Even if you put a couple grand in one, you'll get a lot of enjoyment for several years to come.

Hi,

I have decided to buy an 03-05, only because (correct me if I'm wrong) 02's don't ever come with seat heaters. So here are a few newbie questions?

1. Did everyone model come with a hardtop and if so-are the top colors always supposed to match the car?
2. Were the soft Boots included-if not are they hard to find?
3. What are the obvious upgrades in the trim packages-tire sizes, etc.?
4. Are there any telltale signs I should be aware of when I look at these? I'll probably be buying a higher milage car.
5. Can you still buy Hardtop stands carriers?

Thanks,
Bob
Carjones - I think I can answer a few of these for you; I have an '02, and it does not have seat heaters, but that was not a deal breaker, living in the South.
<REMOVED INCORRECT>
<REMOVED INCORRECT>
3. What are the obvious upgrades in the trim packages-tire sizes, etc.? I cant speak to all of the upgrades, but I wish mine had the upgraded interior (colored seat panels, steering wheel and shift knob). Recommend that you make that part of your criteria
4. Are there any telltale signs I should be aware of when I look at these? I'll probably be buying a higher mileage car. Lower mileage is better; look for check engine light on; check A/C and temp. All seem to be reoccurring issues with the Retrobirds. I replaced the coil packs on my '02 (reasonable easy to do), and A/C works, and it runs cool.
5. Can you still buy Hardtop stands carriers? - Yes; some folks still sell the original ones, but I got on online and it was 1/2 the price ($130 I think), and works great; came with a dust cover, and fits all of my tops ('55, '57 and '02). Absolutely worth the investment.

As far as these little birds go, I think they are a great little, FUN car to drive. Folks always ask how old it is, not knowing that it is a '02, and I always get compliments on it. Gets up and scoots. Hope that helps and good luck in your hunt!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back