Wire Wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone had any experience with finding wire wheels that look right on the 2002 Thunderbird? I understand all the previous reservations about wire wheels, but have had no problems with them on my 90 Jaguar, and love the look that they give a black car. I wonder if anyone has made or will make them available for the new Bird.

Duke

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Take a look at Dayton Wire Wheels; www.daytonwirewheels.com. They offer three that should fit; Eurowire, Classic III EuroWire and Classic III in addition to some of their direct bolt-ons for Jags (according to them). I contacted a local dealer about the EuroWire and the Classic III and was told that it would be about $2300 for a set of 4; a little short of cash right now so am waiting.

I had wires on my '93 Jag. The look was great, but the performance was not. I found it impossible to get a perfect balance on the tires with those wheels. I had great tires on it too. Be careful with wires.

Any one know if Kelsey Hayes still make wires. Knock offs on the T bird would be fantastic. Thanks for posting the Dayton site. I don't like the wide spoke Ford Chrome wheel, especially the finish between the spokes. It looks like for a grand more, knock offs are a definite possibility. I intend to drive it only on cruises with the car club and on week ends, keep it under glass for winters, wires would work fine for me!

Kelsey Hayes has been out of business since about 1971

------------------
**********, **************************

Take a close look at the brake rotor size and the size of the brake caliper. Any replacement wheel will have to have a huge relief in the back of the spoke area to clear. Not sure a true wire wheel would provide enough clearance. Also, wire wheels like to be centered, not offset like the Thunderbird wheels.

Thanks for the info guys, I must be getting old (54) I had a 1964 Merc Maurader Mt Clair which came from Ford with the Kelsey Hayes wheels and a 390. In 1968 I had a Mustang with a 428 Cobra Jet, I put Mickey Thompsons aluminum mags on it. Broke up the back ones a couple of times. They were 'universal' fit with kidney washers, they tore apart with the torque! I went back to steel wheels.
Now my wife (40 something) has a 1998 yellow GT Mustang and I have a Continental. Ford fans!
We had a 1991 Miata, British Racing Green / tan leather. Not a real car more a 'toy'
We have a Triple Blue on order, supposibly a June delivery. I still will look into Wires and have e-mailed Dayton. I will check my E-Mail now.....

Thanks for all the great feedback. It is very helpful. I too had the Kelsey Hayes wheels in mind when I posted the question. Hopefully more and more choices will become available as the more Thunderbirds are on the road. Ideally, a wheel that has been specifically designed for the new Thunderbird will be made available.
Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back