Winter Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
S
Last seen
I live in the Minneapolis area and am going to be storing my T-Bird for the winter. Does anyone have advise? Should I just change the oil and start the car once in a while? Help!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Im in Chicago and I too will be storing mine very soon. Heres things I will do before putting it away. Some of which may not be necessary but Ill do them anyway.

1. Change the oil (contaminated oil has acids)
2. Fill the gas tank (eliminates moisture condensation in the tank)
3. Add Stabil to the gas (won't gum up fuel system
4. Park the car on a plastic drop cloth on concrete floor (prevents moisture transfer from concrete to the cars under carriage)
5. Pieces of plywood under the four tires (Ive heard the checmicals or cold of concrete harden the rubber at contact point).
6. Cover the car with a cloth car cover.
7. Soft top up with windows closed
8. I don't use a battery tender but start the car every 6-8 weeks and run it for about 5 minutes AFTER it gets up to normal operating temp (maybe 15-20 minutes)
9. I do not lock the car under the cover as this arms the burgler alarm and that may drain the battery.

mr ed said:
#5 That can happen in 3 to 4 weeks. Takes about 30 min. to get them hot enough to round out.

I've heard that prolonged contact with concrete will permanently harden the rubber at the contact point. Fact or fiction, Im told its not the same as the temporary flat spot you get from a few weeks of being parked. Its too easy to put it on plywood to take the chance. Although I start the car every 6-8 weeks I don't move it for about five months.

I've been winter storing my Miata for about 10 years and I now treat my T-bird the same way. Instead of placing tires on plywood, just pump up to 56psi. Never had a flat spot. Just don't forget to let air out the first time you drive it. I bought a bubble to store the car in. Drive in on the plastic, zip up the bubble and it fills with air with a squirrel fan. Never had a lick of problem in an unheated garage and it stays dry with the air of the squirrel fan. Also leave windows down a crack with a convertible. I disconnect the battery and bring it home to put on the battery tender. Works great for the Miata and have done the same thing for two winters with the Bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back