whats the sliding rattle? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

whats the sliding rattle?

• Thread starter Thread starter tlfmd
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
tlfmd
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
on accelleration or deceleration, a controlled sliding noise/clunk occurs, most noteable behind the driver's left ear.. and is it "normal" can it be muted? is it related to the seatbelt mechanism or the roof.. makes my wife nervous

2005 premium (blue with sand acccent pkg) with ht still on

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

tlf:
You may need a trip to the dealer. But first read this: http://forums.thunderbirdforum.com/showthread.php?t=2564&highlight=noises

If that doesn't help, try the search button above. Either way, keep us tuned in for the results

Edited... These cars, most of them, came with locking nuts for the wheels. Quite possibly the bag broke open and they are loose in your spare tire well. I'd suggest you take out your spare tire anyway to see if anything is in there rolling around.

Last edited:
interesting thread.. but not a rattle, a sliiiiide-clunk..
the spare's coming out later this eve.
the dealer had a look with that recall for a fluid additive..
i cannot believe that the "additive" made for such a difference in shifting, but it did..
i'm at 800 mi at 10 weeks

solution

😕 try taking off the hardtop... you need to do that anyway to dry our the softtop. they are sprayed in the factory? but they are usualy wet and should be dried out. also the soft top will need to be streched a bit. anyway when you get the softtop up there are little snaps on the inside that you can unsnap and look into the well where the softtop receids into... perhaps someone left a screwdriver in there,,, hehehe -drew

This may not do it, but silly as it sounds I had a sliding noise coming from my left side. It turn out to be a coin had fallen into the map pocket on the drivers door. Made me crazy for a while because when I first looked i didn't see or feel anything in the pocket. Sometimes there is a simple answer.

yeah, but

this is clearly behind me, in the wall behind the door, where the seatbelt comes out...
is it that cam that sets the seatbelt in a deceleration..cinches up to protect in a catastrophic deceleration?

We also have the "rattle", but we have noticed ours since removing the hard top for some nice weather fun. The rattle seems to be coming from behind the drivers seat and we only experience it when the top is dropped. Any ideas? We also had transmission problems that were fixed by our dealer last week with the replacement of the solenoid. Our bird is a Merlot, sand top and black/sand interior. We get comments about the car EVERY time we drive it and I drive it daily.

Noise

I posted this once before several months ago. My clunking sound was a misrouted emergency brake cable. The cable was banging against the axle housing and since the housing is hollow, the sound traveled. My dealer wire tied the the cable to the axle housing after putting a rubber boot around the axle housing. It is now quiet.

Ticket Ted
2003 Whisper White/white top/Red @ Black premium interior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back