What did you do today on your '55-'57

Ward 57

As a winter project here in the freezing inland NW, I replaced the fender skirt gaskets using a hot glue gun. The driver's side fit's great but the passenger side has always been tight. Can't quite get it too latch. Thinking on using my heat gun to warm it enough to soften the glue and rubber to get it to click in. should be interesting to get it hot enough to soften the glue but not effect the paint.

I have my '55 in France in a friend's garage; 5th owner and whoever rebuilt the engine did a perfect job...rear antisway bar and hard brake linings make it the equal of any jag in the twisties. europeans love to see it. was in the chantilly concours 2 years ago as an 'unmolested' postwar car. I have one with a continental kit here in tulsa in fine condition that I'd let go for $23k. wife loves it because it's black with both tops.

thought we had the one in europe sold to a reputable broker whom we've dealt with for years but I got ghosted--'55 t-birds are eligible for the mille miglia you know! just get your fiva papers! anyway that's why I have 2!

Ward 57

thought we had the one in europe sold to a reputable broker whom we've dealt with for years but I got ghosted--'55 t-birds are eligible for the mille miglia you know! just get your fiva papers! anyway that's why I have 2!
Sounds like You are dealing in Italy. Must be interesting .....

1957Bird

Nothing but think about it
Up here in the NE it’s tucked away till spring in a friend’s unheated unplowed garage. Going to try a new alum radiator and 7 blade flex fan in the spring. After extensive and expensive complete engine rebuild and thorough radiator flush it still has a tendency to run a bit hot if you’re forced to sit in traffic. Wish I’d known about the updated water pump housings when the engine was apart. Oh well :) like I said
Just thinking about it

have you checked your gauges? our runs almost touching the red zone; a thermometer in the rad showed 185 degrees! and when the fuel gauge is actually lying on the 'e' peg it has about a gallon left! I put a bottle of water wetter in it a few years ago and it's never burped a drop--even though while we took out the ac we left the condenser in front of the radiator; as far as I know it has the standard water pump and fan. someone put h/d brake linings in it which makes it more enjoyable through the mountain pass fully loaded. we don't do any deals in europe, just the occasional historic rally or show. the food in france is just wonderful even in little roadside inns. a full load of luggage and bumpy roads wore through the flex brake line to the rear brakes...we made it to a repair shop thank God!

Ward 57

Ahh... the joys of driving our classics. I've been trying to get mine roadworthy after 20+ years of neglect while life got in the way. Fire it up and take a couple of mile drive and see what shows up. Been a coolant leak. a carb leak, power steering leak, Fuel pump leak etc..
Unfortunately each repair took it off the road for weeks at a time so no road time. I think this summer it will be road worthy and then work on the cosmetics.

Nothing but think about it
Up here in the NE it’s tucked away till spring in a friend’s unheated unplowed garage. Going to try a new alum radiator and 7 blade flex fan in the spring. After extensive and expensive complete engine rebuild and thorough radiator flush it still has a tendency to run a bit hot if you’re forced to sit in traffic. Wish I’d known about the updated water pump housings when the engine was apart. Oh well :) like I said
Just thinking about it
We live in the South and on our '55, I pulled the radiator and had it completely rodded and gone through, installed a 'big mouth' 170 degree thermostat, high flow water pump, new upper and lower hoses, 7 blade fan, as well as a new heater core. and overflow tank (the aftermarket one from Casco fits nicely, although it does not look period-esque as an old Moonshine bottle...), but it now seems to run more consistent than it did before the work. I have a new temp sender, but not installed yet; using a point and shoot thermo reading gun and keep it in the car. The weather here is cooler, so not sure if I've corrected the overheating or not, but the temp is not bouncing around like it used to from stop to running. Not hard to do any of this, sans a little difficulty on the heater core. GLWT

As noted above, finished the cooling system, on to suspension now; new bushings, brakes, seals, springs(?), and maybe a heavier duty front sway bar. Just took the wheels off last weekend and scrubbed the underside and wheel wells - amazing how much dirt can collect in just 65 short years.... :)

My bumpers are in TN getting replated, too darn cold in MO anyways, I will be ready to go in the spring. BTW, I have just one fender skirt and I am always looking for someone that has a single one laying around.

Ward 57

have you checked your gauges? our runs almost touching the red zone; a thermometer in the rad showed 185 degrees! and when the fuel gauge is actually lying on the 'e' peg it has about a gallon left! I put a bottle of water wetter in it a few years ago and it's never burped a drop--even though while we took out the ac we left the condenser in front of the radiator; as far as I know it has the standard water pump and fan. someone put h/d brake linings in it which makes it more enjoyable through the mountain pass fully loaded. we don't do any deals in europe, just the occasional historic rally or show. the food in france is just wonderful even in little roadside inns. a full load of luggage and bumpy roads wore through the flex brake line to the rear brakes...we made it to a repair shop thank God!
I don't see anything unusual. They just run hot but it does no damage. Just run thicker oil.